English Vocabulary Words with Meanings for various Exams: SBI PO, NIACL, NICL, IBPS PO/Clerk, RRB, RBI, IPPB, UICL, OICL. We are providing vocabulary words from the Articles of Newspapers like The Hindu, The Economist, The Indian Express, etc. which are important for the upcoming exams. Add some more words to your English vocabulary words list.
1. Jilt (verb) – suddenly reject or abandon.
- Synonyms: forsake, desert, reject, leave, discard.
- Antonyms: love, keep, continue
- Usage: He was jilted at the altar by his bride-to-be.
2. Primitive (adjective) – relating to, denoting, or preserving the character of an early stage in the evolutionary or historical development of something.
- Synonyms: ancient, earliest, first, prehistoric, antediluvian, antique, primordial, primeval, primal
- Antonyms: modern, recent, developed
- Usage: In the primitive village, there is no source of electricity.
3. Cripple (verb) – cause (someone) to become unable to walk or move properly.
- Synonyms: disable, paralyse, immobilize, lame, incapacitate, debilitate, handicap;
- Antonyms: strengthen, aid, assist, encourage
- Usage: A young student was crippled for life.
4. Salubrious (adjective) – health-giving; healthy.
- Synonyms: healthy, health-giving, healthful, beneficial, wholesome, salutary
- Antonyms: unhealthy, deleterious, harmful, pernicious
- Usage: Vegetables are salubrious foods which provide essential nutrients.
5. Flabby (adjective) – (of a part of a person’s body) soft, loose, and fleshy.
- Synonyms: soft, flaccid, unfirm, yielding, slack, lax, saggy, pendulous
- Antonyms: firm, taut
- Usage: This exercise helps to flatten a flabby stomach.
6. Rampart (noun) – a fortified wall or embankment that serves as a protective barrier
- Synonyms: embankment, earthwork, parapet, breastwork, battlement, stockade
- Usage: Soldiers formed a rampart around the city in order to protect Jericho from being overtaken.
7. Spatial (adjective) – pertaining to space and the relationship of objects within it
- Synonyms: spacial, extensional, solid, dimensional, areal
- Antonyms: temporal, sequential
- Usage: She has excellent spatial awareness of all objects in her proximity.
8. Accentuate (verb) – make more noticeable or prominent.
- Synonyms: underline, underscore, accent, highlight, spotlight, foreground, feature
- Antonyms: mask
- Usage: During the programming interview, make sure you accentuate your familiarity with coding languages.
9. Hasty (adjective) – done with excessive speed or urgency; hurried.
- Synonyms: quick, hurried, fast, swift, rapid, speedy, brisk, hurrying, expeditious
- Antonyms: slow, sluggish, prudent, deliberate
- Usage: The thief made a hasty exit out the door after stealing several diamond rings.
10. Assertion (noun) – a confident and forceful statement of fact or belief.
- Synonyms: declaration, contention, statement, claim, submission, opinion
- Antonyms: denial, negation, contradiction
- Usage: The lawyer’s assertion will have us believe her client was not in the state at the time of the murder.