Directions: In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.
- (A) Rampant capacity addition between 2002 and 2012 has led to a situation of off-peak power surplus. /(B) It is another matter that this has not led to ample, affordable and reliable supplies. /(C) It costs ₹7.50 a unit to supply power, while discoms realised far less through tariffs. /(D) This acts as a disincentive for them to supply power to inadequately served regions.
realised = realise
- (A) Bruising competition in the new areas is likely to pressure profit margins and force more on-site hiring. /(B) Nor does all this imply that the industry can get back to the 15-20 per cent growth rates /(C) it saw during its heydays. For a maturing industry with a revenue base of $150 billion plus, /(D) even a 10 per cent growth would be an achievement.
- (A) The charge for forgery, for instance, which relates to CJI having ante-dated an administrative /(B) order dated November 6, 2017, is being questioned for its authenticity. /(C) Before the Opposition makes a charge of forgery against the CJI, was due diligence done in bringing it about? /(D) Does the Opposition have cogent evidence to prove this charge?
for = of
- (A) Modi sees that in our turbulent age, it’s best to make as many alliances as possible. /(B) The Commonwealth includes 2.3 billion of the world’s population and resource-rich stars like Canada, Australia and African countries. /(C) Modi and May laid the ground for a possible post-Brexit free-trade deal, though its negotiation could take some time. /(D) For Britain, though, there’s no arguing with the cold numbers that show almost 50 per cent of its trade is with the EU and only 9 per cent with Commonwealth countries.
that = which
- (A) India’s apparel industry has also to contend with faster growth of exports from Bangladesh and Vietnam. /(B) Both countries experienced about 15 per cent compound annual growth rate between /(C) 2012 and 2016 compared with India’s seven per cent. Better infrastructure and smoother /(D) clearances with less paperwork are among factors helping exports from those countries.
- (A) The state police forces can and should stand at the ready to confront disrupters determined /(B) not to give political engagement a chance. /(C) Truth and reconciliation end civil strife; brute suppression does not. AFSPA corrodes the voluntary allegiance of free people, /(D) the only glue that can hold together a diverse nation like India.
not to give = to not give
- (A) It needs to rope in equity partners such as the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF), /(B) as well as long-term funds such as foreign pension funds to invest in equity of road projects. /(C) Utilities abroad do provide steady long-term returns /(D) in the mature capital markets.
of = in
- (A) Stocks find it relatively easy to ride a wave of global liquidity, created by Quantitative Easing. /(B) That liquidity is going to be sucked back in, sooner rather later. /(C) To retain its value, TCS would have to focus on steep increases in revenue per employee, /(D) calling for drastic changes in the quality and training of recruits and HR practices.
- (A) To take such apolitically aggressive line is Gandhi’s right as Opposition leader. /(B) But that’s different from helping create a situation where the Supreme Court finds itself /(C) as a defendant without a defence counsel in the public’s court. Congress doesn’t have to agree with Naidu’s decision. But if everyone knows how exactly the V-P arrived at his decision, /(D) Congress will perforce be debated the merits of Naidu’s rejection. The quality of the debate will improve.
debated = debating
- (A) Training policemen in crime detection, creating trust between the community and the police, /(B) so that information flows to the police, instead of being tortured out of the mouths of select witnesses, /(C) bringing in overall professionalism in police work—such things make a difference but do not get recognition as political sensitivity for rape. /(D) The good work being done to empower women and change social attitudes on gender must be redoubled.
for = to