Directions: In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.
- (A) Initiating the recent no-confidence motion, Telugu Desam Party MP Galla Jayadev /(B) raised a point over the devolution to the states being /(C) only 36-37% of the Centre’s resources against the promised 42%. His point is valid. /(D) Blame it on cesses, kept outside the divisible pool.
over = about
- (A) The draft national e-commerce policy that has been the subject of media reports /(B) is a mishmash of policy, wishful thinking, procedural reform and /(C) waste of time. Its heart is in the right place: it wants to promote local champions. /(D) But what it proposes signally fails to contribute, save for the recommendation to allow startups to issue shares with differential voting rights.
- (A) PM Narendra Modi did well to declare that he was not scared to be seen /(B) in the company of corporate chieftains. This comes not a day too soon. /(C) With bad loans and flighty industrialists dominating the news, a narrative has once again been built up in which /(D) people who run companies are cast as villains.
built up = building up
- (A) Home minister Rajnath Singh says no coercive action will be taken against anyone, amidst the tension /(B) spawned by National Register of Citizens publishing its draft list that excludes /(C) 40 lakh applicants in Assam. The state chief minister echoed him. We hope they live up to their promise. /(D) However, the fact that the Centre has rushed 22,000 security personnel to Assam shows the scope for trouble.
- (A) Indian Railways (IR) needs a speedy change of track to address faltering demand in crucial segments /(B) and falling revenues. Raghu Dayal points out, in a recent paper in Railway Gazette /(C) International, that domestic air travel is poised to overtake upper-class rail journeys /(D) as early as 2020 while rail freight facing ever greater competition from road transport.
facing = faces
- (A) Critics of the Srikrishna Committee proposals on data privacy would seemed to have missed /(B) one large point and several subsidiary points. /(C) The large point is that with Big Data a reality, a major nation-state can’t simply look at data as a tradeable commodity when it comes to adopting a legal framework. /(D) The committee does this and fails to see data as a strategic asset, which defines key characteristics of the Indian collective.
seemed = seem(two past forms are not used )
- (A) Death by starvation of three sisters aged eight, four and two years in India’s national capital is tragic, /(B) unacceptable and calls for immediate remedial action. /(C) It betrays lack of social cohesion and neighbourly empathy, apart from fatal gaps in the institutional mechanism to deliver on the Right to Food. /(D) Food security is a justiciable right: every citizen is supposed to have adequate, sufficient and safe food that will enable a healthy life.
- (A) All concepts of privacy and data protection are circumscribed by the sociological tensions inherent /(B) in the relationship between an individual and society in which she lives. /(C) Total protection of privacy could, for example, block investigation of acts by an individual that cause harm to others. /(D) Thus, privacy is inherently limited by the requirements of public interest.
an individual and society = an individual and the society (parallelism)
- (A) The army never went quite out of power in Pakistan. But Nawaz Sharif, on his return after the military coup /(B) that ousted him and especially after the court defenestrated him, had begun to challenge /(C) the army’s sway. To his undoing. The army has won the 2018 Pakistan elections. /(D) For the Pakistani army generals, the outcome was the best they could hope for.
was = is
- (A) The newspaper is not in favour of the death penalty and would like to see being locked away /(B) for life instituted as the maximum punishment for the penal code. /(C) With that qualification, we wholeheartedly welcome the award of the maximum penalty to two policemen in Kerala for torturing to death a man in their custody. /(D) It is unfortunate that it has taken 13 years after the crime for the initial sentencing to occur.
for = under