Directions(1-4): Which of the following phrases (i), (ii), and (iii) given below each sentence should replace the phrase given in brackets to make the sentence grammatically correct? Choose the best option among the five given alternatives that reflect the correct use of phrase in the context of the grammatically correct sentence. If the sentence is correct as it is, mark (E) i.e., “No correction required” as the answer.
- Kunal’s brother (died before the medical team came).
i. had died before the medical team came
ii. died before the medical team come
iii. died before the medical team had cameOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiii and iiiNo correction requiredOption A
In the given sentence two actions are mentioned. One action had taken place in the past and the other action in the recent past. So, there is a sequence of events. The event which has taken place earlier needs to have “had+V3” and the latter action needs to have “V2” form of the verb.
- All the members of the club (know that Raman’s dressing sense is) always poor.
i. knows that Raman’s dressing sense is
ii. know that Raman’s dress sense is
iii. knew that Raman’s dress sense wasOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiii and iiiNo correction requiredOption D
The usage of ‘passing marks’, ‘dressing sense’, ‘link language’ ,‘linking network’ is absolutely wrong. The correct usage is ‘pass marks’, ‘dress sense’, ‘link language’, ‘link network’ etc.
- Team Green House (broke all previous records in yesterday’s match).
i. broke all previous record within yesterday’s match
ii. broke all previous records on yesterday’s match
iii. broke all records in yesterday’s matchOnly iOnly iiOnly iiii and iiNo correction requiredOption C
- (Many a worker are protesting) against the cut in wages in the factory.
i. A great many workers are protesting
ii. Many a worker are protesting
iii. Many a worker is protestingOnly iOnly iiOnly iiii and iiiNo correction requiredOption D
Whenever ‘more than one’ or ‘many a’ is used to quantify a noun it is always followed by a singular noun and singular verb. And on the other hand, whenever many, a good many, a great many are used to quantify a noun they are always followed by a plural noun and a plural verb.
- According to a court ruling, the owner of the polluted land is liable for the cleanup of the property even if the owner (did not have the responsibility of) that pollution.
is not responsible forresponsibility is not there fordid have the responsibility ofhas not in charge ofNo correction requiredOption A
- To (encouraging travellers during summer), the new airfares allow both an adult and a child to fly for the price of one ticket.
encourage travellers during summerencourages travelers in summerencourage travelers on summerencouraged travelers during summerNo correction requiredOption A
- Despite its attractiveness, investing abroad (is being risky) owing to the shortage of regulations to protect investors.
might be riskhave been riskycan be as risky ascan be riskyNo correction requiredOption D
- People discovered the alternate sources of energy when fossil fuel reserves (starts to deplete).
start to depletestarting to depletestarted to depletestart with depleteNo correction requiredOption C
- A. The monsoon season in India brings with it the _____ of new problems such as waterlogging and accumulation of stagnant water.
B. Stagnant water leads to the breeding of disease-carrying mosquitoes and the ____ of diseases.SubstituteCarrierPaletteAbundanceReclamationOption D
- A. Women empowerment is necessary for this day and for _____ important values in young women.
B. Through positive messages about the movement, _____ such strong and empowering ideas in people’s minds will become much easier.ImprovingRepeatingSubjugatingInculcatingRelivingOption D
The meaning of the following words are:
subjugating: bring under domination or control, especially by conquest.
Directions(5-8): In the given question, a part of the sentence is printed in bold. Below the sentence alternatives to the bold part are given at (A), (B), (C) and (D) which may help improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case the given sentence is correct, your answer is (E) i.e. No correction required.
Directions(9-10): Two statements with one blank in each are given. These statements are followed by five alternatives. Choose the one which fits into both the blanks.