Which of the words/phrases (A), (B), (C) and (D) given below should replace the words/phrases given in bold in the following sentences to make it meaningful and grammatically correct? If the sentence is correct as it is and ‘No correction is required’, mark (E) as the answer.
- The march of about 15,000 farmers and adivasis from Nashik to Mumbai has once again foregrounded rural distress in the political shear. We may be back to the June 2017 moment, when a repose that began in Punthamba in Ahmednagar district quiet across to Mandsaur in Madhya Pradesh and before that to Sikar, Rajasthan.
compress, turbulence, quieteneddiscourse, reverberated, afterignore, tumult, deadendecrease, dither, dullAll are CorrectOption B
- While implementation of the Forest Conservation Act was a expired demand of the protesters, others deserve audit— such as parcelling out common land into individual plots and ‘linking’ westward flowing rivers to the Godavari. With water scarcity assuming alarming proportions, rash water management has become central to improving the fortunes of farming.
valid, scrutiny, prudentaspired, blink, carelesswrong, flash, imprudentabsurd, squint, sillyAll are CorrectOption A
- The International Solar Alliance has got off to a good start with derisory pledges of financial assistance by India ($1.4 billion) and France (€700 million). The multi-country agreement, taken by India and first retrieved as an idea to the world jointly by India and France at the global climate talks of Paris in 2015, is meant to benefit 121 countries that lie between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn.
depraved, unaffected, retrievedfeeble, compensate, pasteddetached, allow, deprivedimpressive, mooted, presentedAll are CorrectOption D
- The bluff of the issue is that India wants a price for the reactors that will not make power costlier than ₹6.5 a kWhr, while France’s Areva (now EDF) wants more. Similarly, on the Rafale deal, the French push to get India to buy 36 more fighter jets failed to make an baloney. This is not surprising given that we’re heading into an election year and when the original deal for 36 fighters has run into a political drip.
pith, cause, drizzlecore, bulge, mizzlenub, impression, stormgist, baloney, defendAll are CorrectOption C
- The Centre’s decision to flabbergast the spectrum-holding cap and extend the payments tenure for auctioned airwaves gives only partial relief to the impudent telecom sector. Take the relaxation in repayment time for spectrum. Mobile operators pay between 25 per cent and 50 per cent of the amount they have bid to acquire spectrum snaky. The balance is paid in 10 equal instalments over a ten-year period after a moratorium of two years.
reduce, jaunty, candidrelax, beleaguered, upfrontabate, dashing, deviousmoderate, frosty, followAll are CorrectOption B
- There is an urgent need for severance of spectrum holdings. Operators currently use a mix of 2300 MHz, 2100 MHZ and sub-1GHz bands to offer mobile broadband services. By retaining the cap on sub-1GHz bands, the Centre has considered the efficiency brought in by large remote blocks of spectrum.
consolidation, ignored, contiguousdispersal, considered, detachedseverance, noticed, removeddisunion, rejected, separtaedAll are CorrectOption A
- To ensure that perpetrators of specified crimes have a strong deterrence to stay put, the Bill empowers officials to attach domestic properties of knowns even before a case is filed in a Special Court. The Special Court, on hearing this petition, can summarily declare suspects as ‘fugitive economic offenders’ and order retort of their assets to the Centre, for sale and settlement of dues.
stimulus, reliable, addendumspur, plaintiffs, restorationincentive, suspects, confiscationprovocation, beliefs, reinforcementAll are CorrectOption C
- Perpetrators of financial crimes in India manage to confront punishment under the rash of existing laws by taking cover behind resist treaties and spiriting away personal assets abroad. It remains to be seen whether now at least, the authorities manage to shut the cage before the chickens fly the expanse.
scrutinize, repatriate, cageembrace, indigenous, confineabide, encounter, corralevade, extradition, coopAll are CorrectOption D
- International Women’s Day is not just a day for social media messages, but a day to take deplete of the progress the world has made in treating women as men’s equals and of the estimates taken to empower women financially, politically and socially. It is also a day to celebrate achievements, individual and collective, of women, and to economise to continue the efforts to get women a better deal.
stock, measures, pledgelineage, postulates, promisestrain, divines, vowrace, cessations, covenantAll are CorrectOption A
- Financial inclusion and empowerment of women is another area that needs to be skirted. An overwhelming 80 per cent of women entrepreneurs depend on their own funds to finance their protects while less than five per cent get institutional support. India Inc also needs to raise the glass ceiling and pave the way for women to play a greater leadership role.
solicited, adventures, mouldgreeted, enterprises, assembleaccosted, protects, leveladdressed, ventures, dismantleAll are CorrectOption D