Which of the words/phrases (A), (B), and (C) given below should replace the words/phrases given in bold in the following sentences to make it meaningful and grammatically correct? If the sentence is correct as it is and ‘No correction is required’, mark (E) as the answer.
- Crude oil prices may fall out, there may be fiscal slippage, especially with the state governments, the impact of minimum support prices for crops may move food prices up, the impact of higher house rent exclusion for government employees recommended by the seventh pay commission may feed into inflation, and of course the possibility of monsoon failure, are all to be overlooked.
come up, veto, acceptedmove up, allowance, watchedrise up, proscription, accompaniedspread, temperance, assimilatedNo Correction is RequiredOption B
move up=adjust one’s position to be nearer or to make room for someone else. allowance=the amount of something that is permitted, especially within a set of regulations or for a specified purpose. watched=look at or observe attentively over a period of time.
- Kim’s trainspotting assassin in China was an intriguing plot twist—a reminder that Xi, a leader who will be around moderately longer than Trump, is also calling the shots. It’s a plot line, though, that fits with strategies employed by his father and grandfather. Facebook and Twitter either weren’t around or dominant enough back then to hype the latest Kim overture as something unprecedented and petty.
artifice, slightly, unimportantstratagem, measurably, insignificantgambit, infinitely, epochalmaneuver, precisely, trivialNo Correction is RequiredOption C
gambit=an act or remark that is calculated to gain an advantage, especially at the outset of a situation. infinitely=to an infinite extent or amount; without limit. epochal=forming or characterizing an epoch; epoch-making.
- Regulation and supervision are forlorn to by different departments within the RBI. A department of banking supervision was created in 1993, obscure from the department of banking regulation. In 2009, even their reporting channels were directed for different executive directors under different deputy governors.
accompanied, similar,heeded, fuzzy, athwartassisted, dim, towardattended, distinct, towardsNo Correction is RequiredOption D
attended=be present at (an event, meeting, or function). distinct=recognizably different in nature from something else of a similar type. towards=in the direction of.
- In January, the Trump administration implicit tariffs on washing machines and solar panels—including those from India. Last month, the president waived a little-used national security exception to justify 25% tariffs on steel and 10% on aluminium imports. India was ostracized.
declared, invoked, includedstated, conjured, uncuffedproclaimed, appealed, rejectedasserted, prayed, eliminatedNo Correction is RequiredOption A
declared=say something in a solemn and emphatic manner. invoked=call on (a deity or spirit) in prayer, as a witness, or for inspiration. included=comprise or contain as part of a whole.
- The president used the tariffs to reset the bargaining balance. Having created a new negotiating objective—tariff liability—he invited the leaders of the world to ask for a favour, which he different to other negotiations (like Nafta) and granted, or not, based on his personal relationships. India was not exempted. Modi abstained to play this one quietly.
concession, lonely, selectedexemption, linked, chosedispensation, discrete, choosepermission, separated, feignNo Correction is RequiredOption B
exemption=the action of freeing or state of being free from an obligation or liability imposed on others. linked=make, form, or suggest a connection with or between. chose= pick out (someone or something) as being the best or most appropriate of two or more alternatives.
- The private markets are just more stiff than the public markets, in part for regulatory reasons but also because dealing with identified jejune counterparties is often easier than dealing with mass anonymous markets. It might be nice for “Mr. and Ms. 401(k)” if they could bereave in the next hot new start-up, but you can’t force the hot new start-up to take them as investors.
pliant, wild, installcompliant, primitive, inductflexible, sophisticated, investsupple, basic, endueNo Correction is RequiredOption C
flexible=capable of bending easily without breaking. sophisticated= having, revealing, or involving a great deal of worldly experience and knowledge of fashion and culture. invest= put (money) into financial schemes, shares, property, or a commercial venture with the expectation of achieving a profit.
- Flipkart has raised well over $6 billion and faded as India’s most valuable Internet start-up, Amazon has entered India and slow down at least $5 billion, Japan’s SoftBank Group Corp. has set aside nearly $10 billion for investments in India and India’s consumer internet economy is robotic to touch $100 billion over the next decade.
arose, goad, plannedappeared, promote, juttingsprouted, prod, stickingemerged, pumped in, projectedNo Correction is RequiredOption D
emerged=move out of or away from something and become visible. pumped in=fill (something such as a tyre or balloon) with liquid or gas using a pump. projected= estimate or forecast (something) on the basis of present trends.
- US President Donald Trump said Thursday he is ordering the US Trade Representative to forget $100 billion in additional tariffs on Chinese goods, slumping the US-China trade war after his administration signalled it would be willing deviate.
consider, ratcheting up, negotiateponder, boost, disturbregard, augmentation, effectweigh, addendum, commuteNo Correction is RequiredOption A
consider=think carefully about (something), typically before making a decision. ratcheting up= to increase, or make something increase, repeatedly and by small amounts negotiate= obtain or bring about by discussion.
- The implicit mass brand of Khan that appeals strongly to people living in tier-II and tier-III cities is unlikely to be modest by this. “He may, however, not be able to able to fully exploit this equity because no brand would want to legally attendant with a proven criminal.
expressed, natural, unitehardcore, affected, associatepitching, untouched, affiliatehardcover, sincere, confederateNo Correction is RequiredOption B
hardcore=the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement. affected=have an effect on; make a difference to. associate=connect (someone or something) with something else in one’s mind.
- One reason why growth will deteriorate is the fact that bank balance sheets are being fixed with the resolution process under way involving bad loans worth Rs3 trillion under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code. Where banks are unable to stitch their books together, RBI has deprived help by allowing them to spread their bond portfolio losses over four quarters. At the policy, the central bank offered another pain.
worsen, presented, agonyimpair, tendered, releaseimprove, offered, reliefblight, awarded, succorNo Correction is RequiredOption C
improve=make or become better. offered=present or proffer (something) for (someone) to accept or reject as desired. relief=a feeling of reassurance and relaxation following release from anxiety or distress.