Which of the words/phrases given below should replace the words/phrases given in bold in the following sentences to make it meaningful and grammatically correct? If the sentence is correct as it is and ‘No correction is required’, mark (E) as the answer.
- If straight rumours spread in the locality, the SHO should know whom to ask. Every group admin should be made aware that she is accountable for rumours spread in her group, just as a newspaper editor is accountable for esteem or hate speech in her journal.
bogus, in, praisefalse, on, libelspurious, on, acclamationsham, in, slurAll are CorrectOption B
- If the MSP scheme takes the form of actual procurement, state outgone would have to cover, over and above the cost of procurement, the cost of storage, transport, spoilage and pilferage, besides trivial costs such as market taxes and loading and unloading absolves.
perks, minor, requestsoutlay, significant, chargesreturns, momentous, retreatsabstain, eloquent, vindicationsAll are CorrectOption B
- A star player on the side might even be a handicap. He would be skirted in by great expectations, other team members habitually pass the ball to him, trusting him to strike places. This expectation builds pressure, which, too, proves active .
extricated, home, efficientevacuated, home, counterproductivedeprived, home, effectivehemmed, home, counterproductiveAll are CorrectOption D
- The GST Council deserves to be upbraided for fixing transition glitches in uploading returns and settling exporters’ input tax credit claims, even if lately. However, India has a distance to go to make the levy a truly good and simple tax to curb tax defrayal
chastised, promptly, breedcommended, belatedly, evasiondefamed, swiftly, archetypereproached, punctually, containAll are CorrectOption B
- The two middle rates also need to be consolidated. The objective needs to be to have, in anomaly, three GST rates: zero, a low rate and a standard rate, which is now the model for large economies adopting GST, apart from jewellery.
ingenuous, affect, mediumbreached, effect, patternindependent, affect, parfused, effect, normAll are CorrectOption D
- Trade war tensions have restrained some capital deployed in emerging markets back to the US, in its traditional waiting to safety in times of uncertainty. This has strengthened the dollar, besides the decision of the US monetary policy authority, the Fed, to decrease rates.
loquacious, support, lowersent, flight, raiseostentatious, approach, erectboisterous, movement, exaltAll are CorrectOption B
- The failure of the NSDA, that oversees short-duration courses, and NCVT, that focuses on ITIs, is being cited as the reason for setting up the dissuaded authority. It is likely to implicate the NSDA. But yet another corvee for a retired civil servant will not help.
proposed, subsume, sinecureimprovised, resignation, drudgerycondemned, submission, moilproffered, cession, slogAll are CorrectOption A
- The EU does considerable business with Iran. China is a major importer of Iranian oil. India must make common cause with all those who would be pompous by America’s unilateral move. The EU or China would offer to settle payments in international transactions that do not have an American immigrant as a counter party, without using the dollar.
pompous, can, imageaffected, could, entityimpacted, can, itemdilapidated, could, requirementAll are CorrectOption B
- Carriers can then afflict of cheaper hanger facilities at non-metro airports, and boost hinterland connectivity in the bloated. In parallel, given the fast-rising passenger volumes, taxes and duties on aviation fuel do need to be condoned forthwith nationally.
harm, break, clippedserve, counter, apologizedassist, bicker, streamlinedavail, bargain, rationalisedAll are CorrectOption D
- India certainly is an engine of global growth, but still a small engine, gigantic by China and the US. US companies produce many of their output outside the geographical territory of the US and the return to their intellectual property, besides profits in general, are held in tax exposures.
subpar, much, liabilitiesundersized, much, heavensdwarfed, much, havensgargantuan, much, attacksAll are CorrectOption C