Directions: Which of the WORD A, B, C, and D given below DEFINES the phrase printed in bold in the sentence. If all defines the phrase then mark E as the answer.
- The waiter added up the bill and the total sum was $10′.
imbalanceerodeamount toexpungeAll are correctOption C
Add up = an equaled amount.
- Even well – disposed people back away from Jack when they see that ingratiating smile.
stayretreatachievecuddleAll are correctOption B
Back away = to move backward in fear or dislike.
- For all anyone knew, you might have been born without enough skills to boot up a computer–or to earn a decent living.
crossjumpstartoriginateAll are correctOption C
boot up = To start a computer by loading an operating system or program
- When ions floating in the water happen to bump into the hard surface of the crystal, they tend to stick.
extractjeffintroduceterminateAll are correctOption C
bump into = To meet by chance or unexpectedly
- When the police started asking questions, the suspect clammed up.
choosedesirerefusecontractAll are correctOption C
clam up = To refuse to speak
- After the storm died down, we went outside to see the damage it had caused.
aggravatetranquilisedecomposearouseAll are correctOption B
Die down = To calm down, become less strong
- The child asked his papa to help him ease off his belt a bit.
reducedistenddilateescalateAll are correctOption A
ease off = To reduce, become less severe or slow down.
- His plans to trek through South America fell through when he got sick.
scrutinizefulfillprocurefailAll are correctOption D
Fall through = To fail; doesn’t happen
- Susan volunteered at the shelter where she handed out warm clothes.
chokehoarddistributecollateAll are correctOption C
Hand out = To distribute
- The two countries met at the conference to iron out their differences.
dissolveresolvewondermediateAll are correctOption B
Iron out = To resolve by discussion, eliminate differences