Directions: Which of the WORD A, B, C, and D given below DEFINES the phrase printed in bold in the sentence. If all defines the phrase then mark E as the answer.
- They held out against enemy attack.
beseechenduredissentconstrainAll are CorrectOption B
hold out against = resist; not give in
- Do you have your hiking boots on?
wearsportbearcarryAll are CorrectOption
have on = wear
- We need to have a meeting this week in order to iron out the distribution problems.
embroilresolvewrapmuddleAll are CorrectOption B
iron out = eliminate
- We need to jack up the car before we change the tire.
abridgedepletedepraveinflateAll are CorrectOption D
jack up = to raise
- I have so much reading that I can’t keep up with the writing exercises.
followsurpasssucceeddetachAll are CorrectOption A
keep up with = stay on schedule with
- Why don’t you lay away your wedding outfit?
cachedeposithoardbankAll are CorrectOption E
lay away = save for the future
- I’m going to lie down on the sofa for a while.
restreposeretirereclineAll are CorrectOption E
lie down on = recline
- She’s so conceited. She looks down on everybody else.
louddisdainadmiretreasureAll are CorrectOption B
look down on = see as inferior
- I hate it when my mother noses around my room.
prydelvepokeinterrogateAll are CorrectOption E
nose around = sneak around
- I’m glad that John feels comfortable enough around me to open up.
shutniggardlyunfoldabjureAll are CorrectOption C
open up = share feeling