Directions: Which of the WORD A, B, C, and D given below DEFINES the phrase printed in bold in the sentence. If all defines the phrase then mark E as the answer.
- Have you run down those phone numbers I asked for last week?
consumedeprecatetagexamineAll are CorrectOption B
run down = trace
- I need to read up on the company before I go on the job interview.
experimentexamineresearchinvestigateAll are CorrectOption E
read up on = research a topic for a reason
- The President played down his affair with the intern.
softenedmuffledsubduedlooseAll are CorrectOption C
played down = make less important (inf.)
- I didn’t think she was going to make it, but she pulled through in the end.
amelioratedimproveconvalescedrecoverAll are CorrectOption E
pulled through = barely survive
- Watch out for cars when you cross the road.
cautiousprudentreserveddeliberateAll are CorrectOption A
- The trip to Vegas didn’t pan out.
flourishhappenculminatesucceedAll are CorrectOption D
pan out = be successful, turn out well
- It would be hard to live up to her parent’s expectations. They are so demanding.
servecoveranswerfulfillAll are CorrectOption D
live up to = keep a standard
- I need to lie down before we go out tonight.
levelreclineadviceassuranceAll are CorrectOption B
lie down = rest, recline
- She’s so conceited. She looks down on everybody else.
spurndisdainshundisparageAll are CorrectOption E
looks down on = see as inferior
- Why don’t you lay away your wedding outfit?
cupboardstoreactivityhoardAll are CorrectOption B
lay away = save for the future