Directions(1-10): In the following question, a part of the sentence is given in brackets. Below are given alternatives to the bracketed part which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is required, choose “No Improvement” option.
- The (same gang was spotted fell) trees inside the forest during the lockdown on 19 April.
Same gang were spotted fellingSame gang was spotted fellingSame gang was spot fellingSame gang was spot felledNo correction requiredOption B
- The (Indian team had defeat hosts) England by 36 runs to lift the T20 Physical Disabled Cricket Series in August last year.
Indian team has being defeated hostsIndian team was defeated hostsIndian team had defeated hostsIndia team had defeated hostsNo correction requiredOption C
- Mira, the wife of famous Bollywood actor Shahid Kapoor and a mother of two daughters, (took aback from social media), where she shared a note
lauding children.Took above social mediaTook down social mediaTook off social mediaTook to social mediaNo correction requiredOption D
The phrasal verb ‘take aback’ means to be surprised or shocked.
‘Took down’ means to move from a higher to a lower level or place or to pull apart or take apart. Thus, it does not fit here as she is lauding via an online post she made on social media and not taking anything down.
‘Took off’ means to physically remove something or someone from someone.
The only correct phrasal verb is ‘took to social media’ means to express their views on social media.
Thus, option D is the correct answer.
- We don’t give much importance to the other little things and moments which can (make life worth cherishing).
Make life worths cherishingMake life worth cherishMake life worthy cherishMake life worthy cherishingNo correction requiredOption E
The statement is correct, both grammatically and contextually and the statement requires no correction. Thus, the correct answer is option E.
- The WHO (have come under widespread scrutiny) recently for a few valid and many invalid reasons.
are coming under widespread scrutinyhas coming under widespread scrutinyare come under widespread scrutinyhas come under widespread scrutinyNo correction requiredOption D
- In order to make the drug widely available and easily accessible so that (treatmenting can be starting) early, the drug was moved from Schedule X to Schedule H1 last month.
treatmenting can starttreatment can be startedtreatmenting to starttreatment can be startingNo improvement is requiredOption B
- Timely diagnosis and (easily and widely availability) of the drug are expected to reduce mortality.
easily and wide availabilityeasily as well as wide availabilityeasy and wide availabilityeasy and widely availabilityNo improvement is requiredOption C
- India’s 14th President will be (expected to play the important role of) safeguarding the spirit of the Constitution and the foundations of our parliamentary democracy.
expecting to play the important roleexpecting in playing the important roleexpectations to play the important roleexpecting for playing the important rolesNo improvement is requiredOption E
- The candidate secured an impressive victory, receiving more than the number of votes pledged to him, signifying acceptance levels (that go away the parties political) spectrum.
that going far from the party’s politicalthat go beyond the party’s politicalthat went far from the parties politicalthat going beyond the parties politicalNo improvement is requiredOption B
- Instituting processes of national innovation, (rather than waiting to imitate) a good idea from some other country, is perhaps the most important lesson of economic history.
rather than awaiting to imitatefurther waiting to imitatewaiting for imitationmoreover waiting for imitatingNo improvement is requiredOption E