Directions: Each sentence below is given with two blanks. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence respectively.
- The regulatory architecture is globally framed by the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision—a committee of bank supervisors consisting of members from representative countries. Its ________________ is to strengthen the regulation, supervision and practices of banks and _________________ financial stability.
dictate, blemishdecree, blightmandate, enhancebehest, abateAll are correctOption C
mandate = an official order or commission to do something. enhance = intensify, increase, or further improve the quality, value, or extent of.
- Padmavat team was unlikely to wait much longer for theatrical release after the changes are __________________, given the financial stakes involved. Atul Mohan, editor of trade magazine Complete Cinema, said that the year’s busy film ______________starts this weekend.
abrupt, docketamalgamated, nullifycombined, scratchincorporated, scheduleOption D
incorporated = take in or contain (something) as part of a whole; include. schedule = included in or planned according to a schedule.
- Sentiment remained ________________ on sustained capital inflows and widespread buying by retail investors _________________expectations of encouraging third quarterly earnings, to be announced this week, brokers said.
glum, surrounded bydespondent, exclusivesanguine, beforeupbeat, amidAll are correctOption D
- Higher crude oil prices are an ______________ headwind, while the tailwinds are higher consumption as the states implement pay revisions, higher exports as the world economy ______________ and a pick-up in investment demand as business optimism recovers.
obvious, strengthensapparent, buttressesmanifest, energizesconspicuous, invigoratesAll are correctOption E
- Even as the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) was completing its first year of existence, the cat was set among the _________________with the promulgation of an ordinance restricting the promoters’ ability to bid for their _____________assets. Much has since been said, both for and against this.
doves, femininepigeons, stressedsquabs, adjournbirds, accentuatedAll are correctOption B
- the government and Reserve Bank of India are on the same page for effective resolution of the problem of bad debt and improving overall financial discipline in the way business is _________________ in India. A number of features of the IBC and the pronouncements of various high courts and Supreme Court motivate us to look at this latest _____________in a positive manner.
behaved, destinyconducted, effortcarried out, coastled, apathyAll are correctOption B
- Problems such as _______________poverty and inequality, poor health, and environmental degradation that the SDGs aim to solve are _____________issues. They have multiple interacting causes. They cannot be solved by any one actor.
persistent, systemicdeciduous, chaoticcaducous, amorphousdocile, orderedAll are correctOption A
persistent = continuing firmly or obstinately in an opinion or course of action in spite of difficulty or opposition. systemic = relating to a system, especially as opposed to a particular part.
- German officials greet every French government proposal by mentally computing its cost for German taxpayers. And, behind every German counter-proposal, French officials see a _____________to hide behind rules and regulations so that the German ______________can have their cake and eat it.
vitiate, ordinariesgambit, tradeploy, elitesidle, commonalitiesAll are correctOption C
- Europe’s impasse is largely due to a _______________between opposing desires, objectives, and concerns: German fears of Greco-Latin _________________ will always trump French fears of German empire-building, and vice versa.
draw, rule-benderstandoff, rule-bendingimpasse, rule-bendaffable, benderAll are correctOption B
standoff = a deadlock between two equally matched opponents in a dispute or conflict. rule-bending = Not any change, adjustment, or exception to a rule
- Language is what distinguishes us from other species; without it, we are mere ______________. While lying often pays, if we all lied all the time, language would become _____________.
monsters, dilapidatedstock, presentbeasts, obsoleteman, modernAll are correctOption
beasts = an animal, especially a large or dangerous four-footed one. obsolete = no longer produced or used; out of date.