Direction (1-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence respectively.
- Crossing the line into violence is often done under cover of ____________________ of the mob. The perpetrators of the large-scale murder of Sikhs in Delhi in 1984, or the _______________ in urban spaces in Gujarat nearly two decades later, tried to function as part of a faceless mob.
obscurity, affectionanonymity, carnageseclusion, amiableisolation, courtesyAll are correctOption B
- Take the case of the fears that are ____________________ to be generated by the claim that Hindus, despite currently accounting for around 80 per cent of the Indian population, will in the __________________ future be reduced to a minority.
searched, accidentalsought, foreseeableasked, deviousquestioned, capriciousAll are correctOption B
- Startups are born out of entrepreneurial _________________ , but much of entrepreneurship is not startup. A successful startup conceives of an idea and converts it into a ________________ product or service, which is accepted by early customers.
desire, tangiblethirst, physicalfancy, conceptualdemand, palpableAll are correctOption A
- Entrepreneurs make things happen even in the most difficult situations because of their ______________ fighting spirits. Studies have shown that an enabling policy ________________ has the power to accelerate entrepreneurs’ success.
rare, bedlamexceptional, anarchypeculiar, entropyunique, regimeAll are correctOption D
- Lack of skilled resources can _______________ the prospects of a venture’s scaling up. A policy intervention must __________________ both the public and private sectors to produce industry-ready talent instead of just certificate holders.
venture, inspiremenace, urgejeopardise, encourageimperil, aidAll are correctOption C
- The fund manager’s fee and distributors’ commission are two of the main components in the expense ratio. Though the investor does not ________________ an out-of-pocket commission to the distributor while investing in a mutual fund, the fund company pays it and charges it to investor as a part of the ________________ratio.
give, profitoffer, revenuesell, tollpay, expenseAll are correctOption D
- The US has __________________ many challenges to its paramount power status over the last century. After World War I, Britain still had a sprawling empire, but there was little doubt that power was _______________ from its hands and slipping towards the other side of the Atlantic.
dismiss, appearingbrushed off, ebbingrebuff, flowingignore, invigoratingAll are correctOption B
- China brings a very different world view to global negotiating tables, believing as it does that its own way of running things is superior to all others. Xinhua recently ______________dismissed western-style democracy, declaring, “China has absolutely no need to ______________ the failing party political systems of other countries”.
scornfully, importdisdainfully, infamysneeringly, frivolityhaughtily, rationalityAll are correctOption A
- The US was in quite a _________________ last week on the alleged use of a _________________term by the President (which he denied) during a closed door meeting to refer to countries who are sending unwanted immigrants.
hush, offensiveflutter, derogatoryloiter, abusivedawdle, insultingAll are correctOption B
- Third world countries have ______________politicians with their own selfish agendas. They don’t compromise on national priorities for the country’s progress and work hard to obstruct the other. The Democrats and Republicans in the US have taken _____________ politics to a fine art, often threatening to shut down the government and taking months for important bills to pass.
perverse, partialpetulant, opponentfractious, partisanrefractory, fairAll are correctOption C