Direction (1-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence respectively.
- Agriculture experts can play a ________________ role in helping the farming community get returns ______________________ with their expenses and physical toil.
eminent, contrastdistinguished, converseprominent, commensurateoutcast, counterAll are correctOption C
- The charity’s strong track record has, over the years, won it _________________ from bands ____________________ the Beatles and Coldplay to comedian Stephen Fry and actress Minnie Driver.
supporters, such ashelpers, likeprotectors, in particularsponsors, for instanceAll are correctOption E
- The scandal has already __________________ the resignation of the charity’s deputy head, while corporate sponsors are urgently seeking ___________________ on the situation.
defused, opacitytriggered, clarityblocked, ambiguityretarded, equivocalAll are correctOption B
- The controversy has been ________________ upon by some on the right in Britain, who have long been ___________________ of the government’s commitments on international aid and development.
sprang, minorjumped, naivevaulted, trivialleapt, criticalAll are correctOption D
- Britain’s international development minister Penny Mordaunt who has so far ____________________ efforts to be drawn into a wider debate about Britain’s aid budget, urged the entire development sector to ________________________ the issue of sexual abuse and exploitation and has set up a unit to review safeguarding procedures across the aid sector in Britain and beyond.
defied, eludeaccepted, circumventresisted, confrontopposed, fearAll are correctOption C
- The SWIFT is used for transferring funds across borders. In what appears to be a ________________ act, the Mumbai branch did not seek __________________ details from overseas banks.
deliberate, transactionintentional, bloatmediate, apointmentreflect, acquisitionAll are correctOption A
- The ________________ of arrests at PNB is not enough. The conspiracy runs deep. The system of credit _________________ in the system as a whole, and in PSBs in particular, is clearly broken, going by the jump in NPAs and frauds.
fluster, babblebustle, criticizeflurry, appraisalcalm, countAll are correctOption C
- India faces _____________________ challenges in the fight against malaria. Just this month, reports __________________ that in 2017, there was an 18 per cent increase in malaria cases in Tamil Nadu — a State that has otherwise been a leader in fighting the disease.
daunting, citedappalling, concealedreassuring, accusedaiding, quotedAll are correctOption A
- The most _______________ States must aggressively bring their malaria down using _________________ vector-control and case management practices, combined with robust surveillance systems.
disinclined, feeblegenuine, weaksincere, opeerativeaffected, effectiveAll are correctOption D
- India has been central to the fight against malaria since the beginning of the battle. The _____________________ discovery that malaria is ____________________ by mosquitoes was made 120 years ago in Secundrabad, India.
defeat, contractedbreakthrough, transmittedimpasse, tranferedplunge, recievedAll are correctOption B