Directions(1-10): A sentence with one blank is given, indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the word that best fits in the blank making the sentence grammatically correct and meaningful.
- Its function is to give news and to expose malpractice or __________ dealing where it exists.
‘Covert’ meaning ‘not openly acknowledged or displayed’ is the apt fit for the blank.
Manifest: clear or obvious to the eye or mind
Perceptible: (especially of a slight movement or change of state) able to be seen or noticed
Glorious: having, worthy of, or bringing fame or admiration
Magnificent: extremely beautiful, elaborate, or impressive
- He continued to wrest the lands from the Greeks which their _________ arms were no longer able to defend.
feeble means ‘lacking physical strength, especially as a result of age or illness’
Explosive: able or likely to shatter violently or burst apart
Volatile: (of a substance) easily evaporated at normal temperatures
Tumultuous: making an uproar or loud, confused noise
Gregarious: (of a person) fond of company; sociable
- He was not only without political or military capacity but was so __________ that he could not keep a secret.
‘garrulous’ means ‘excessively talkative, especially on trivial matters’ .
Affable: friendly, good-natured, or easy to talk to
Taciturn: (of a person) reserved or uncommunicative in speech; saying little
Secretive: (of a person or an organization) inclined to conceal feelings and intentions or not to disclose information
Pretentious: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed
- He was ___________ enough to deliver up that minister into the hands of his enemies.
‘cowardly’ means ‘lacking courage’
- The contrast is marked by the humour which seems to combine a cynical view of human folly with a deeply __________ sense of the sadness and suffering of life.
‘pathetic’ means ‘arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness’
- While teaching family law, the professor witnessed the ____________ of my students when they realised how unfair all personal laws are to women — be it Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Parsi.
‘dismay’ means Causing distress or concern.
- Meanwhile, job creation will depend on the resurgence of industrial production, continuing growth of exports and an agricultural _________.
- With the Indian cricket team’s captain striding on to the world stage as the face of country, the profile of the coach remained less visible as the ____________ of the national team.
Helmsman means one who steers/guides the ship.
- While it might be difficult to choose, “Beloved” remains one of Toni Morrison’s most __________ works, which won her the Pulitzer and a clutch of other awards.
- Given that the opinions climate proxies people have are so varied, it has often been questioned whether they can be used by various __________ in the field of climate change.
Stakeholder refers to a person with an interest or concern in something.