Directions(1-10): In the given question, there are two sentences with one blank in each sentence. They are followed by five alternatives. Choose that option as the answer which can fill both the blanks of both the sentences.
- A) It is welcoming that Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat has __________ forms of cow protection that involve violence and cow protectors who take the law into their own hands.
B) He __________ the irrational practices of religious rituals and advocated a strong embrace of science in what he described as the yantra yug or the age of machines.declaredapplaudedcondemnedblamedembracedOption C
Declared doesn’t fit in grammatically.
Irrational practices and violence are not things to be applauded, hence option B can be eliminated. They should neither be embraced, hence option E is also eliminated.
Blamed when used in both the sentences renders them incomplete.
Both the given issues are matters which must be criticized or condemned.
- A) The political turmoil faced today, coupled with the _________ of populism, is a consequence of the seemingly elitist politics along with marginalisation of the voices of the socially disadvantaged.
B) Afghanistan’s recent __________ in the world of international cricket has been well chronicled by a number of journalists and filmmakers.adventincreaseconceptphenomenonriseOption E
The second sentence has a positive context. The word in the blank should convey the improvement/upliftment of the team in cricket.
The only word that makes sense is rise. It fits in the first sentence as well.
Advent means the arrival of a notable person or thing which is inappropriate for the context.
- A) India’s legal framework to protect intellectual property rights (IPR) has for long been a source of __________ in its engagement with the United States.
B) The statement by the chief justice of India a few days back about how the judiciary is not receiving enough funds once again brings to the fore the __________ between the judiciary and the government.inspirationconflictingfrictionagendastrengthOption C
Statement A, the word ‘friction’ and ‘inspiration’ seem suitable in the context of India’s engagement with the US but in the next sentence, the word ‘inspiration’ does not seem fit. Hence, ‘fricton’ is the most appropriate word for the given context. Statement B, it represents a situation where judiciary and the government is in a conflicting position.
- A) China is trying to make a difficult economic __________ from a manufacturing-driven economy to an innovation-driven consumption economy.
B) The CBEC launched a GST app on Thursday to facilitate a smooth __________ to the new indirect tax regime for taxpayers.ExcellenceVentureMigrationMutationTransitionOption E
Excellence- the quality of being outstanding or extremely good.
Venture- a risky or daring journey or undertaking.
Migration- seasonal movement of animals from one region to another.
Mutation- the action or process of mutating.
Transition- the process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another.
The first sentence indicates a change with the usage of the words “from…to”. The second sentence also implies a shift in a provision.
- A) US envoy to UN Nikki Haley’s __________that the Donald Trump administration is open to playing a proactive role in de-escalating tensions between India and Pakistan goes against the position of previous US administrations, that had preferred to adopt a handsfree approach to India-Pakistan issues.
B) Any proposal that fathers may also have some responsibility in this context is commonly dismissed with the unquestioning __________that mothers are naturally, invariably more involved with the raising of children.suggestionrequestassertionassumptionpleaOption C
Statement A, it states a confident statement made by US envoy that makes the word “assertion” the most suitable in this context.
Statement B, the word “suggestion” does not fit with “unquestioning” as the former is something that can be accepted or rejected whereas the latter does not. Other words can easily be striked off.
- I. The combination of extreme weather and extreme remoteness is why many view survival education as a _________ part of Heinkein’s curriculum.
II. Most of the bodily ailments which deplete our _________ force come from auto-intoxication, the self-poisoning resulting from eating too much protein and a deficiency of organic salts in our foods.VitalPeripheralListlessCentralVibrantOption A
- I. Great improvements, however, have been effected in the design of open fireplaces, and many _________ contrivances of this nature are now in the market, which combines the efficiency of heating with the economy of fuel.
II. He evolved an _________solution of the duplication of the cube, which shows considerable knowledge of the generation of cylinders and cones.IngeniousInnovativeOrganicInventiveAlteredOption A
Ingenious means clever, original, and inventive
Innovative and Inventive are hence synonymous with ingenious.
- I. Protein energy malnutrition (PEM) is a critical, yet underestimated factor in ________ to infection.
II. The requirements of barley within the soil and its __________ to the external influences of season are very similar to those of its near ally, wheat.DiagnosisRelationSusceptibilityProximitySymbiosisOption C
The word ‘susceptibility’ means ‘liable to be influenced by’. In statement 1 this would fit in because we are talking about how PEM is a critical factor in determining the occurrence of the infection. In the second statement, the effects of the seasonal influences on barley are being discussed, which again would be completed with the word ‘susceptibility’.
- I. After all, it is only by observing people in _________ situations, that we come to know each other.
II. According to the Shinto doctrine, spirits of the dead can act upon the _________ world.TroubledGruesomeDesolateMundaneExultantOption D
The word ‘mundane’ means both ‘routine affairs’ as well as ‘earthly’. In the first statement, “mundane” would make the sentence complete as the sentence points towards the fact that we get well acquainted with people when we observe them in their humdrum routines. In the second statement, the second meaning of the word ‘mundane’, i.e. ‘earthly’ or ‘worldly’ fits suitably.
- I. Going against the status quo to take a progressive decision is always a difficult _________ in politics or in government. Such decisions yield enthusiastic support from those in favour of change; at the same time, they invite strong responses from reactionary sections.
II. To attain this end we must secure a preponderance of virtue over vice and must ____ to secure that the honest man may, even in this world, receive a lasting reward for his virtue.HinderEndeavourCeaseReclineAbundanceOption B
Cease- end, halt, finish
Recline- lean or lie back
Abundance- a very large quantity of something