Directions(1-5): Two sentences with one blank in each, followed by five are given. Choose that option as the answer which can fill both the blanks of both the sentences.
- A) He is sentenced to jail for consistently and _________ ill- treating his wife and children.
B) Valuable programs that could have saved lives but involved greater scrutiny of the council’s affairs were ________ abandoned.CallouslyAlluringlyAbatingImpassivelyDroopinglyOption A
- A) John’s __________ behaviour is to get him in a lot of trouble one of these days.
B) When the astronomer looked into the telescope, he was shocked by the sight of a star moving in an _________ path.PeculiarAbnormalDeviationAccedeAberrantOption E
‘Aberrant’ means abnormal.
‘Peculiar’, ‘deviation’ are synonyms of aberrant but due to the use of ‘an’ before the blank in the second statement they can not be used.
Also, ‘abnormal path’ looks a little weird.
‘Aberrant’ looks better.
- A) When police officers questioned him, he became ___________ and tried to hit one of them.
B) The boys found it hard to get along with Tom, because he always said __________ things.AmicableAbhorResoluteBelligerentRequiteOption D
Belligerent- aggressive, argumentative
- A) Six generations of his direct ____________ continued to live in Myddle throughout the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
B) Although those great animals have gone, their ____________ have followed the same rules of instinct and habitation.AncestorsDescendantsBegetterProgenitorPaternalOption B
The meanings of the following words are:
Begetter: male parent
Progenitor: a person who originates a cultural or intellectual movement
Paternal: of or appropriate to a father.
- A) The politician says his budget proposal will help eliminate the ____________ inequality between the poor and the rich by increasing the taxes paid by those in the higher income bracket.
B) The existence of technological spill overs and positive ___________ externalities create incentives to make such ventures as inclusive as possible.AvocationCompensateFiscalPecuniaryCardinalOption D
‘Fiscal’ is more of a commercial term, hence not appropriate.
‘Avocation’ means hobby, hence not suitable.
‘Compensate’ which means give (someone) something, typically money, in recognition of loss, suffering, or injury incurred, doesn’t make sense.
‘Cardinal’ means important, doesn’t make sense here.
- Toyota has created a car that uses AI to sense a driver’s _____________ , and can even wake them up if they’re nodding off and prevents a possible mishap.
It has been stated in the sentence that the car by use of AI can even wake up the driver if he is nodding off and prevents a possible mishap. In this context, the appropriate word to fill the blank is ‘state’ which means the particular condition that someone or something is in at a specific time. In the given sentence, the condition is that of nodding off.
- Families, who grow closer, do so by shouldering burdens ungrudgingly and by expressing _____________ for those doing the toughest work.
The blank needs a noun which implies a kind of expression in cases where someone is working hard. It can be deduced the word will relate to some kind of appreciation. The only appropriate option in this regard is ‘gratitude’ which means ‘the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness’.
- Though unproved, it is a popular _____________ that people who are overweight have a higher risk of asthma than those working out on a regular basis.
The sentence states that the information is unproved, so we can deduce that there is no evidence supporting it and thus is a mere ‘assumption’ which means ‘a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof’.
- It is the President’s top-to-bottom _____________ of the public trust that most justifies impeachment.
As per the context of the sentence, the president did something which justifies his removal from the post. Of the given options, only ‘Betrayal’ which means ‘the action of betraying one’s country, a group, or a person; treachery’ is the appropriate option.
- In the past, my grandfather had often voluntarily shared outlines of the traumatic violence that _____________ his identity and worldview.
Directions(6-10): A sentence with one blank is given, indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the word that best fits the blank appropriately.