Directions(1-5): In the given question, a statement with a blank has been given, followed by three word out of which more than one can complete the sentence grammatically and contextually. Find the word (s) which can fill the blank and choose the option accordingly.
- When the aeroplane finally _______________ on the runway after hovering for almost an hour, she smiled in relief and took a deep breath.
I. touched down
III. landedOnly IBoth I and IIIOnly IIBoth II and IIIAll I, II and IIIOption B
It is evident that the sentence talks about the landing of an airplane. This action is best described by both the words ‘touched’ and ‘landed’. Thus, option B is the correct answer.
‘Settled’ means to move or adjust (something) so that it rests securely. And it is often used when someone takes some time for adjusting. But since we are talking about a landing, it does not make any sense. Thus option B is the correct answer.
- The pharmaceutical industry had a ________________ interest in seeing that their own branded drugs were prescribed.
III. suddenOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I & IIBoth I & IIIOption E
Legitimate means able to be defended with logic or justification, valid.
Hard means requiring a great deal of endurance or effort.
Sudden means occurring or done quickly and unexpectedly or without warning.
The blank requires an adverb suitable for the noun “interest”. One doesn’t have hard interest. One can, however, have a legitimate or sudden interest. Hence, the correct answer is E.
- The government’s mission is to protect wildlife while also supporting commercial activities that ______________ the wise management of natural resources.
III. debarOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I and IIBoth I and IIIOption B
‘Avoid’ means prevent from happening. ‘Entail’ means involve (something) as a necessary or inevitable part or consequence. ‘Debar’ means to exclude or prohibit (someone) officially from doing something.
The context of the given sentence implies that the proper management of natural resources is a part of commercial activities. Thus, ‘entail’ is the best fit.
- Besides affecting health, prolonged exposure to air pollution can also __________ employees productivity.
III. fetterOnly IIIBoth I & IIBoth I & IIIOnly IIOnly IOption A
The use of ‘besides’ implies in addition to affecting health, prolonged exposure to air pollution can also effect an employee’s productivity. The
effect cannot be a positive one in this case. So, ‘fetter’ meaning ‘confine or restrict (someone)’ is the only suitable filler .
- The lamps on the side-tables threw warm pools of light on the ________________ wood.
III. polishedOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I & IIBoth I & IIIOption C
“lamp on the side-tables” indicates that this is a domestic setting. Also, the article “the” before the blank suggests that this is a particular wood we are talking about. It is very likely that the side-tables mentioned in the sentence is made of wood, which is reflecting the light from the lamp. This is possible only if the wood is polished. Hence, the correct answer is C.
- When you got lost in the forest you ____________ have been very frightened.
NeedOught toMustDareNone of the aboveOption C
‘Must’ as a modal verb is also used to show that something is very likely, probable, or certain to be true. Out of all the option, the word makes sense contextually and grammatically. Thus, option C is the correct answer.
- Due to her financial circumstances, the ________ loan would be the one with interest rate below 4%.
AppropriateOptimumActualProperNone of theseOption B
Optimum means most conducive to a favourable outcome; best. This has been used in relation to the loan suggested to the person mentioned in the context because of his
- In the novel, the famous detective is known for his __________ approach that allows him to detect leads from the smallest clues.
Out of the given options, Meticulous meaning ‘showing great attention to detail; very careful and precise’ is the correct
* Imperative means of vital importance; crucial.
* Assertive means having or showing a confident and forceful personality.
* Condemning means expressing complete disapproval of.
- Owing to the red marks around the victim’s neck, the investigators quickly realized that the assailant must have __________ the victim.
Out of the given options, throttle meaning ‘to suffocate by cutting off someone’s air supply in order to kill or hurt him or her’ is the correct fit.
Therefore, option A is the correct fit.
- The voters were __________ in their efforts to remove the crooked politician from office.
Out of the given options, vehement means ‘showing strong feeling; forceful, passionate, or intense’.
Therefore, option B is the correct answer.
The meanings of other words are as follows:
• Impassive: not feeling or showing emotion. (This option is eliminated as it is not grammatically correct).
• Apathetic: showing or feeling no interest, enthusiasm, or concern
• Jaded: bored or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something
• Gorged: having the neck encircled by a coronet or collar, especially one of a specified tincture.
Directions(6-10): A sentence with a blank is given, indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the word that can be filled in the blank to make the sentence grammatically correct and meaningful. If none of the words fit in the blank, choose option E, i.e., ‘None of the above’.