Directions(1-6): In the given question, a statement with a blank has been given, followed by three word out of which more than one can complete the sentence grammatically and contextually. Find the word (s) which can fill the blank and choose the option accordingly.
- It is pretty difficult to carry on a conversation in such a noisy environment, let ________ write a scientific paper.
III) UpOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I & IIBoth II & IIIOption B
The word in the blank will go with “let” to form a phrase.
Let off means a chance to escape or avoid something, especially defeat.
Let alone is used to indicate that something is far less likely or suitable than something else already mentioned.
Let up to put less effort into something, especially criticizing someone or making them work harder.
- The report presents some of the key data, which would _________ the stakeholders in the industry to take educated decisions.
III. LimitOnly IOnly IIBoth I & IIIBoth II & IIIBoth I & IIOption E
The sentence states “to take educated decisions”. This means the data, made available by the report will help (and not restrict) the stakeholders.
So, the only options which can be used to fill the blank appropriately are ‘Enable’ (give (someone) the authority or means to do something; make it possible for) and ‘Qualify’ (make (someone) competent or knowledgeable enough to do something).
- The emergency services are working at full stretch today to cope with the ________________.
III. businessOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I & IIBoth I & IIIOption B
Strife means angry or bitter disagreement over fundamental issues; conflict.
Accident means an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
Business means a person’s regular occupation, profession, or trade.
- He talked about how much we owed to our parents, our duty to our country and so on and so ________________.
III. forthOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I & IIBoth I & IIIOption C
Note that ‘so on and so forth’ is the correct phrase. We generally use the phrase so on or/and so forth at the end of a list to indicate that there are other items that you could also mention. Hence, the correct answer is C. Other options do not make sense in the given context which means that the subject here continued to talk about the moral values related to parents, country and much more.
- We needed to ________________ our workforce to cope with massive technological change.
III. reskillOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I & IIBoth I & IIIOption C
Recoup means regain (something lost or expended).
Remit means cancel or refrain from exacting or inflicting (a debt or punishment).
Reskill means teach (a person) new skills.
- Her husband died in the accident but she, amazingly, ________________ unscathed.
III. escapedOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I & IIBoth I & IIIOption C
Confront means to come face to face with (someone) with hostile or argumentative intent.
Trap means to prevent (someone) from escaping from a place.
Escape means to succeed in avoiding or eluding something dangerous or unpleasant.
- Ali is weak ____ Mathematics.
inintoatofNone of theseOption C
Because “maths” covers a variety of subtopics (addition, subtraction, geometry, algebra, trigonometry)
To say you are good in maths is wrong, because one is not physically “in” maths.
- Distribute the sweets _____ these three children.
betweenamongintotoNone of theseOption B
- None of the students ______ passed the test.
havearewillhasNone of theseOption D
“None” should be followed by singular although the subject is plural “students” as it suggests not a ‘single one’.
- The chairman and director _____ addressed the meeting.
havehasisareNone of theseOption B
- If I _____ the vase, I will be punished.
will breakbreakingbreaksbreakNone of theseOption D
Directions(7-11): In each of the following sentences there is one blank space. Below each sentence these are five words denoted by numbers (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E). Find out which word can be filled up in the blanks in sentence in the same sequence to make the sentence grammatically correct and meaningfully complete.