Direction (1-10): In each question below two sentences are given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of both the sentence I and II.
- a. Because of the ____________ love I have for my ______________, I would never yell at them like some young people do.
b. The plot was weak because it failed to establish the _______________ connection that should exist between _______________ and a son who love each other.adoring, ladyobedient, peopleaffectionate, enemyfilial, parentsAll are correctOption D
filial = relating to or due from a son or daughter.
- a. If he can ____________ his client of the charges in spite of the circumstantial evidence against him, he will be performing a _______________.
b. Although the new evidence seems to ________________ the defendant of the breaking and entering charges, there is still a chance of the ________________.convict, gestaltincriminate, visabetray, dancevindicate, miracleAll are correctOption D
vindicate = show or prove to be right, reasonable, or justified.
- a. In her monthly speech, the school counselor will ______________ the students to plan for their futures so they will be prepared for _______________.
b. As a dear friend, I ______________ you to eat well and exercise regularly so you will have a long ___________.counsel, liegoad, wealthexhort, lifeincite, rounderAll are correctOption C
exhort= strongly encourage or urge (someone) to do something.
- a. After vandals looted the stores, an ___________ erupted among the rioters sending several _____________ to the hospital.
b. What began as a simple squabble between friends turned into an ____________ among several _____________.coincide, classaffray, peoplecategorize, categoriesarmistice, phonesAll are correctOption B
affray = an instance of group fighting in a public place that disturbs the peace.
- a. Although Mary knows the advantages of using a microwave for food preparation, she is old-fashioned and _____________ to serving ______________ she has not personally prepared.
b. For those who are _____________ to spaghetti, you also have the ______________ choice of baked chicken with roasted potatoes.averse, mealsassy, eatabledesirous, kindinclined, dazyAll are correctOption A
averse = having a strong dislike of or opposition to something.
- a. On May the 3rd, instructions were given to ___________ the remains in mass _____________.
b. A special process must take place before we can ____________ the bodies of the deceased into their ______________.inter, gravesexhume, tombsdisinter, deepsdig, engravesAll are correctOption A
- a. Offering of the displaced workers _____________ packages is the least the ____________ could do before shutting down operations.
b. Unable to come to an agreement regarding working hours, ______________ from the cleaning ______________ was the only solution the contractor could come up with.isolation, phonerupture, vindictionseverance, companysplit, organAll are correctOption C
severance = the action of ending a connection or relationship.
- a. Although I realized that my accountant would probably _______________ me for not making quarterly _____________ to the IRS, I preferred to hold on to my money as long as I could.
b. Mary knew that things had been very hectic at her husband’s job, so she didn’t _______________ him for not making the ______________ of their shopping.applaud, evasionchide, paymentemulate, penaltylaud, annuityAll are correctOption B
chide -= scold or rebuke.
- a. As she pushed the baby-fine hair out of her face, the girl’s _____________ locks ___________ on her shoulders.
b. _____________ clouds, fine and thin, ______________ around in the air.wispy, bouncedchubby, vaulteddense, hopedfirm, skippedAll are correctOption A
wispy = (of hair, threads, smoke, etc.) fine; feathery.
- a. Hanging his head in shame, the spineless ____________ was exiled from his _____________ for treason.
b. The _______________ helped the Russians conquer his _____________ and sold them many classified documents.traitor, arearelegate, placequisling, countryJudas, hemAll are correctOption C
quisling = a traitor who collaborates with an enemy force occupying their country.