Direction (1-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.
- Nearly a year since the introduction of GST, the filing of monthly returns remains a __________________ for some, and a nightmare for others. In an effort to ease the compliance burden of both buyers and sellers, the GST Council last week rightly __________________ to move to filing a single return each month.
balderdash, vaguerigmarole, decidedrubbish, vacillantdrivel, crypticAll are CorrectOption B
- The EPFO’s claim that “no confirmed data leakage has been __________________ or observed”, therefore, runs counter to the Chief Provident Fund Commissioner’s unambiguous __________________ of loss of data to hackers.
conventional, negationfixed, contradictionestablished, assertionregular, disavowalAll are CorrectOption C
- The 2018 policy very __________________ states that it envisions investments of $100 billion in the digital communications sector but the __________________ is that none of the existing players is in a position to put that money on the table.
definitely, apparitiondecidedly, adventureemphatically, realitypositively, chimeraAll are CorrectOption C
- The current situation in the foreign exchange market is __________________ of 2013 when worries about the US Federal Reserve tapering its quantitative easing had sent all emerging market currencies spinning lower. The rupee has lost 4.5 per cent against the dollar so far this year, along with other __________________ market currencies such as the Brazilian real, the Philippine peso and the Russian rouble.
remindful, disappearingevocative, vanishredolent, presentreminiscent, emergingAll are CorrectOption D
- The sheer diversity of the platforms from which the data has been __________________ off — from websites listing beneficiaries of rural jobs programmes to the public distribution system in Gujarat to the Bangaru Talli scheme in Andhra Pradesh to the Indian Oil Corporation’s systems incorporating details of Indane customers — suggests that callous disregard for data protection is a widely shared __________________ across States, government departments and other agencies.
torn, anticipationsplit, blissripped, malaiserented, merrimentAll are CorrectOption C
- Almost all the proposals in the draft National Digital Communications Policy 2018 policy have __________________ mention in earlier regulations and vision statements of the telecom regulator or the Department of Telecom. For example, making broadband __________________ available to every citizen.
found, accessset, egressunearthed, matterrecognized, blockadeAll are CorrectOption A
- The current __________________ in the global financial market could last for a while. After staying in a somnolent range through the early part of 2018, the dollar index suddenly __________________ over 3 per cent last fortnight and there are expectations that the dollar could continue to rally.
commotion, obtusedisturbance, bluntturbulence, spikedferment, dulledAll are CorrectOption C
- The Ministry should have focussed on putting together a roadmap explaining how it will __________________ these initiatives. For instance, the new policy states that incentivising manufacturing of semiconductor chips is one of the top __________________ areas.
accomplish, posteriorityexecute, priorityeffect, disfavorperform, demotionAll are CorrectOption B
- There is a touch of disingenuousness to the EPFO’s claim, made on Thursday, that there had been no leak of Aadhaar data from its servers. The ‘clarification’ from the state provident fund organisation came in the __________________ of social media __________________ of a letter written by Chief Provident Fund Commissioner VP Joy to Dinesh Tyagi.
wake, revelationsrouse, concealmentstrack, coversaugur, disguisesAll are CorrectOption A
- Learning from the lessons of last year, the GST Council should __________________ better preparedness in moving to the final ‘invoice matching’ phase. Inconvenience to businesses, particularly MSMEs, which lack the resources to cope with __________________ receipt of input tax credit, or an excessive tax payment, should be avoided.
warrant, swiftguarantee, speedyensure, delayedinsure, advancedAll are CorrectOption C