Direction (1-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.
- The census, however, generally _______________ India’s urbanization. This is because of a peculiar definition: A settlement in India qualifies to be called urban if its population is greater than 5,000, its population density is more than 400 persons per sq. km and at least 75% of its male workforce is _______________ in non-farming occupations.
undercounts, hiredundercounts, leasedundercounts, employedundercounts, practisedAll are CorrectOption C
- Democrats too have not helped themselves _______________ choosing to neglect the issues of rural voters. Whereas the rural voters are more concerned with agricultural issues and the negative _______________ of free trade, the Democrats focus more on immigration and minority rights.
on, falloutsin, falloutsby, falloutsabout, falloutsAll are CorrectOption C
- The CFO of an FMCG company approached US recruitment firm Kelly Services recently, wanting to resign and take up consulting or shortterm assignments. Since then, he’s worked on various projects with companies of his choice, ________________ well and travelled extensively in between jobs. When Kelly reached out to him for a permanent job, he refused, saying he prefers ________________ for their flexibility and exposure.
justified, liberateswarranted, dismissesearned, gigsdeserved, emancipatesAll are CorrectOption C
- There are very few businesses that have a _______________ for the informal or the underground economy. In a world where all businesses are legal, perhaps those afraid of social shaming will be the only firms that remain underground. Indian firms remain in the shadows because that is the only way to exist and _______________ competitively.
aversion, operateantipathy, disengagepreference, operateabomination, disenchantAll are CorrectOption C
- Indian businesses lose the productivity, economies of scale, and gains from trade that come with formalization because the regulatory environment is impossible to _______________ . Remaining informal allows them to buck most of the regulatory and tax system, a survival _______________ without which India would be poorer.
navigate, tacticcruise, adjustablesferry, volatilesskipper, fluentsAll are CorrectOption A
- This violence has _______________ around a centralized political contest—which national or state political party will control panchayats and not a local contest about who might be the best local leaders, how local resources should be managed and what the _______________ for the development of the village are.
belched, selectionserupted, prioritiesspewed, preferencesappeared, decisionsAll are CorrectOption B
- The Indian bureaucracy is _______________ so that the “street bureaucracy”, as it is called in the developed world—such as the anganwadi worker, sub-engineer, police constable—is the least skilled and empowered. This trend has been _______________ in recent years by the large-scale hiring of low-paid contract workers at the field level: teachers, staff for rural development programmes, health workers.
dilapidated, magnifiedimpoverished, magnifiedenvisioned, magnifiedstructured, magnifiedAll are CorrectOption D
- The proliferation of technology, cheap smartphones, and reasonable data rates has _______________ the democratization of online content. The _______________ side is that the speed of content distribution has made traditional journalistic controls of verification unfeasible.
entitled, toplicensed, backenabled, flipsanctioned, lowAll are CorrectOption C
- While misinformation spread through social media has _______________ public attention, fake news itself is an _______________ category, including misleading news, unverified content, hoaxes, and even fabricated pictures in the nature of internet memes.
captured, amorphoussurrendered, nebuloustracked, obscureconfiscated, crystallizedAll are CorrectOption A
- It should come as no surprise to readers that the peace initiatives had been launched by the Israeli _______________ and that the people of Israel trust it to make peace without sacrificing their security. The world over, it is a feature of the left to bask in the comfort and security provided by the nation state and work on _______________ away at its foundations.
proper, doingright, chippingethical, goingveracious, loosingAll are CorrectOption B