Direction (1-10): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.
- The Centre could well find this fiscally ________________ : it needs resources to compensate states for any revenue losses arising from the transition to the goods and services tax (GST) that has ________________ about 23 cesses. However, collections from special cesses on sin goods like cigarettes are supposed to take care of the compensation requirements.
wise, includedcautious, embodiedprudent, subsumeddiscreet, incorporatedAll are CorrectOption C
- Improving quality and offerings of higher education institutes requires money. For the ________________ of the country’s higher education institutions, augmenting revenues will mean, at least in the short run, increasing tuition fees. While established universities, colleges and institutions can ________________ alumni contributions and industry partnerships, and use their considerable corpus, these options are not open to newer institutions.
majority, exclusionbulk, accesspreponderance,amplitude, emissionAll are CorrectOption B
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India has announced reserve prices for the next round of spectrum auctions, benignly setting the rates below those used for the 2016 bids, except in the case of one band. It might think it has been ________________ and the industry is thankless to keep ________________ about costs. It is wrong.
generous, whiningkind, praisingmagnanimous, complacentbountiful, pleasuringAll are CorrectOption A
- Sarbananda Sonowal, at present the BJP chief minister of Assam, had moved the Supreme Court in 2000 to ________________ the law that was being used to implement the 1985 Assam Accord that Rajiv Gandhi had struck with the leaders of Assam Agitation, namely, the Illegal Migrants (Determination by Tribunals) Act, on the ground that it ________________ illegal migrants.
endorse, swathedapprove, guardedinvalidate, protectedassist, savedAll are CorrectOption C
- Inflation is hardening, across the non-food, non-fuel groups in the price index. Oil prices remain range-bound but have the potential to turn ________________ . Commodity prices across the board have been firming up. These could ________________ the trade deficit.
volatile, widendurable, broadenpersistent, spreadreliable, dilateAll are CorrectOption A
- Dedicated cesses are ________________ to general taxation. Yet, a road cess for building highways has been useful. But the goal should be to bring petrol and diesel under GST, with additional cesses that would not qualify for input credit. In the meantime, why ________________ the states’ revenues?
quality, woundelite, gashinferior, slashpremium, lacerateAll are CorrectOption C
- Budgetary constraints limit the ________________ of scholarships, which are therefore reserved for the poorest. Education loans, though available, are expensive; the government’s interest subvention schemes and waiving of ________________ requirements are restricted to technical education.
quantum, collateralmeasure, principalamount, primalquantity, genuineAll are CorrectOption A
- If India is to ________________ the strategic capability that a 5G enabled economy would be, telcos have to invest heavily in optical fibre, servers and computing, apart from in deploying advanced data analytics. They need money. High tariffs are not ________________ .
innate, agreeablerelinquish, advantageousforfeit, pleasingacquire, desirableAll are CorrectOption D
- Sonowal petitioned the court again, in 2006, against the rule framed under the Foreigners Act.The court ________________ the petition and held it to be the court’s job “to ________________ the demographic balance of a part of India, that is Bharat”. Extending the logic in 2014, the court ordered the NRC process and declared that it should be completed in three years.
confronted, supportpersevered, bolsterbickered, sustainconceded, upholdAll are CorrectOption D
- The MPC avoids the term exchange rate, because no one wants to be accused of currency ________________ . And it is not its place to warn politicians against populism. So, it simply raises rates, to disincentivise capital ________________ and curb demand.
management, perksmanipulation, outgostratagem, returnmachination, yieldAll are CorrectOption B
One Thought to “English Questions: Fill in the Blanks 98”
Thanks a lot for the helpful post. It is also my opinion that mesothelioma cancer has an particularly long latency period of time, which means that signs of the disease may well not emerge until 30 to 50 years after the original exposure to asbestos. Pleural mesothelioma, which can be the most common style and has effects on the area about the lungs, could cause shortness of breath, torso pains, as well as a persistent cough, which may cause coughing up body.