Direction (1-10): In each question below a sentence is given with three blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill the blanks of the sentence.
- The BJP’s _______________ in the last session is only matched by the _______________ with which it has now ceded ground on the no-confidence motion. That the arithmetic favoured the ruling party was never in any doubt, so the only _______________ reason for the allowance this time is political.
rigidity, reluctance, credibleperseverance, apathy, conceivabletenacity, hesitance, speciousintransigence, alacrity, plausibleAll are CorrectOption D
- The Supreme Court _______________ that the right to privacy is not absolute and that the state can place _______________ restrictions on it in the interest of fulfilling objectives such as protecting national security, preventing and investigating crime, encouraging innovation, and preventing the _______________ of social welfare benefits.
has clarified, reasonable, dissipationhas flummoxed, visceral, profligacyhad confused, paranoid, debaucheryhad turbid, outrageous, intemperanceAll are CorrectOption A
- Private sector MFs now dominate the industry and the _______________ leading MFs have their finger in many pies — NBFCs, investment banking, brokerage and corporate lending. _______________ on related-party deals can seriously compromise both governance and investor confidence in the vehicle. To address this, SEBI can consider _______________ aggregate exposure limits for mutual funds looking to invest in group entities, with index names alone excluded from these curbs.
boycotts of, Slackness, setting persistentsponsors of, Laxity, setting tightdetractors of, Remissness, setting stiffopposes of, Flaccidity, setting niggardlyAll are CorrectOption B
- Higher education needs both autonomy — which has led to the IITs, IISc and IIMs emerging as centres of _______________ — and accountability in the right measure. A present system of according ‘graded autonomy’, depending on independent rankings and assessments, should be continued, without the MHRD superimposing its own views. An independent regulator, _______________ individuals of _______________ and academic excellence, could make a difference. The teaching community must lift its levels of performance.
odium, fortified by, duplicityreproach, crewed by, hypocrisyrepute, manned by, probityignominy, garrisoned by, artificeAll are CorrectOption C
- Total debt waivers are budgeted _______________ 0.2 per cent of GDP during 2018-19.” The ratio of revenue to capital spending has increased since 2016-17, reversing five years of decline. _______________ revenue gap can be _______________ the pay panel award, States can offset this by improving tax collections.
in, During the plunging, repudiateso, Whilst the arise, revokeby, Whereas the setting, renegeat, While the rising, attributed toAll are CorrectOption D
- Rankings also need to take a _______________ of institutional and socio-economic concerns into account. For instance, they do not adequately factor in the role of public goods _______________ health, education, gender equality, law and order and sanitation in creating an _______________ ecosystem for business.
spectrum, for instance, suitableprogression, in particular, propergamut, such as, appropriatediapason, to illustrate, relevantAll are CorrectOption E
- The _______________ that the army _______________ captured the high ground in the battle came when Nawaz Sharif and his daughter and political heir Maryam Sharif returned dramatically to Pakistan and were immediately _______________ to Islamabad’s Adiala Jail.
lucid evidences, wasn’t, whisk awaydistinct denotations, didn’t, abductclearest indications, hadn’t, whisked offevident demonstrations, isn’t, abrogateAll are CorrectOption C
- There are also worries over excluding VoIP and IPTV services from the _______________ of the neutrality guidelines. This could, for example, enable an operator to give superior quality for its own voice over internet service _______________ WhatsApp. The telecom department should not only put out a list of such services that can be excluded from net neutrality rules but also set up a monitoring platform to ensure that telecom companies are _______________ in disclosures about such specialised services.
trail, from, translucentvarnish, in contrast to, limpiddomain, counter to, diaphanouspurview, compared to, transparentAll are CorrectOption D
- While there’s certainly a need to develop a _______________ market alternative for funding projects, achieving this through a diktat is a bad idea. For one, India is already an island of high interest rates in the global context and this puts domestic industry at a big competitive disadvantage. Businesses try to lower their cost of capital by _______________ between bank loans, external commercial borrowings and bond issues, depending on which _______________ is the cheapest.
dead, cozenage, circuitblank, chicanery, divergencezonked, cheating, aberrationvibrant, juggling, routeAll are CorrectOption D
- the recent _______________ of the Centre to identify ‘Institutions of Eminence’ with an eye on building world-class teaching and research institutions is eminently worthy of _______________ . It reflects a rare ability on the government’s part to look far out into the future, and to dare to dream big, in an area that has typically been characterised by short-termism. The Centre’s willingness to ease regulatory oversight of such institutions, including on matters relating to the appointment of foreign faculty and the framing of _______________ is a radical change indeed.
attempt, criticism, course of studyendeavour, commendation, curriculumventure, complaint, disciplineseek, rebuke, specialtyAll are CorrectOption B