Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- Undercover investigations or so-called sting operations occupy a complex and problematical ethical space in journalism, but it is______________________ The Tribune’s exposé, published after accessing Aadhaar’s database of names, numbers and addresses.
a. credible to flaw
b. impossible to fault
c. problematic to lapseOnly a & bOnly a & cOnly b & cOnly bAll are correctOption C
- Mr. Trump’s anger was evident when he earlier said that former White House strategist Steve Bannon, who allegedly provided much of the inputs used in the book, had “lost his mind” and had been “________________”.
a. damned like a beast
b. chucked like a hound
c. dumped like a dogOnly aOnly bOnly cNone of theseAll are correctOption C
- Much of the ______________________ of China’s rise is based on the common presumption that the U.S. under President Donald Trump had surrendered its global leadership role.
a. portent regarding the magnitude
b. speculation about the extent
c. surmise close by rangeOnly a & bOnly bOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption E
- The treatment meted out to the family of Kulbhushan Jadhav (currently incarcerated in a Pakistani prison and the fake news that followed their visit provides an index of Pakistan’s cold, __________________________ hostility towards India.
a. deliberated and persistent
b. visceral and constant
c. calculated and consistentOnly a & cOnly b & cOnly cOnly bAll are correctOption A
- The tiny West African state witnessed a smooth political transition, __________________ democratic culture that is evolving in a continent where one-party dictatorship still remains entrenched.
a. reverberating a stiff
b. echoing a resilient
c. ailing a stoutOnly a & bOnly bOnly cOnly c & aAll are correctOption A
- The court’s remark came during the hearing of a plea, filed in 2016 by a citizens’ group led by _______________ Kiran Mazumdar Shaw seeking the court’s intervention for supply of drinking water to the residents of Bengaluru and surrounding districts.
c. philanthropistOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly cNone of theseAll are correctOption C
- Jordan could be a market and would welcome investment from Indian companies, including in ICT, infrastructure and energy. His Majesty is looking forward to his visit in early 2018, as soon as possible, and we hope _______________ to put us on a fast track of ties.
a. devise to impulse
b. to create momentum
c. to Jeff to enticeOnly aOnly bOnly a & bOnly b & cAll are correctOption C
- India has always stood on the side of justice, and that has always helped us in the peace process. The vote at the UN General Assembly [on Jerusalem] was a reaffirmation that India __________________ it has held through all these years of conflict.
a. endures by the doctrines
b. dissents by the effects
c. stands by the principlesOnly b & cOnly aOnly a & cOnly bAll are correctOption C
- The government didn’t tell me about its intentions. It is obvious that the government and everyone else wants peace in Kashmir. It (peace) should be durable. It cannot prevail for a few months and be _________________ three years later. The focus is on bringing permanent peace in the Kashmir Valley.
a. disrupted by violence
b. perturbed by vehemence
c. calved by duressOnly aOnly b & cOnly a & bOnly cAll are correctOption E
- The powerhouse performer, who hails from Gurgaon, has slowly and _____________ for himself in the industry by taking up meaningful roles without falling prey to the 100-crore box-office bug. He’s displayed some immense talent in films such as Trapped, Newton, Talaash, Kai Po Che! among other gems making him one of the most endearing actors of today’s times.
a. steadily carved a niche
b. absurdly combined a mound
c. steadfastly sculpted an alcoveOnly aOnly b & aOnly cOnly a & cAll are correctOption D