Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- The ____________________of a good market must be to enable citizens to obtain what they need at least cost, and without destroying the capacity of suppliers to continue to fulfil their needs. That is what good markets for commodities do, such as markets for agricultural produce, minerals, land, and finance.
a. frivolous objective
b. overarching purpose
c. prevailing interferenceOnly a & cOnly b & aOnly b & cOnly bAll are correctOption C
- The argument that more jobs are not ________________because employers cannot fire their employees is a specious one, as employers are hiring more workers whenever they need them. They hire them as contract workers or casual workers, and not regular workers whom they would have to pay more.
a. being made
b. being fabricated
c. being createdOnly a & cOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly cAll are correctOption A
- When technologies change more rapidly, as they are now doing, and employers must change their processes, they must provide workers _________________ the new skills necessary. Off-line training institutions cannot keep up.
a. opportunities to learn
b. chances to grasp
c. occasions to understandOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aNone of theseAll are correctOption E
- India’s labour laws are archaic, too many, often contradictory, and__________________. They must be reformed. Even the unions are demanding reforms. The government is simplifying and consolidating the laws into a few codes. The reformed laws must suit emergent conditions. They must provide more flexibility to employers.
a. gravely determined
b. badly administered
c. terribly caredOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption D
- The Government took several steps over the past few years to expand the tax base — demonetisation, introduction of GST, incentivising digital transactions, and so on. Granted, these measures will go a long way in delivering benefits, yet the move has also ____________________among the middle class that some tax relief may be in the offing.
a. augmented intentions
b. inflated desires
c. raised expectationsOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aNone of theseAll are correctOption E
- With increasing trend of nuclear families and both parents working, there have been an expectation of some tax _______________facility/allowance provided by employer. The existing limit of tax free medical reimbursement by the employer was fixed at ₹15,000 almost two decades back.
a. invasion for creche
b. break for creche
c. breach for nurseryOnly aOnly bOnly cNone of theseAll are correctOption B
- Considering the decline in real estate sector, taxability of notional rent on house property should be done away with. The old regime of one point taxation of ESOPs may be re-introduced where it is taxed as capital gains at the time of sale only. This would particularly help the startups in _________________the talent.
a. attracting and retaining
b. drudging and maintaining
c. appalling and holdingOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption D
- Individuals playing a C suite role in the employees are generally required to report details of their overseas assets in the return form. However, given the large scope of reporting required including bank account number, date of opening of account, peak balance during the year, etc., it ____________for such individuals to disclose all the requisite details for all the accounts.
a. develops into humdrums
b. becomes tedious
c. turns to be prosaicOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption E
- The Government’s recent decision to allow 100 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in single-brand retail on the automatic route has generated_____________ from some quarters. It is not an earth-shaking policy shift, but a matter of pushing the process of liberalisation further. The investment door that was partially open is now fully open.
a. inappropriate approbation
b. unseemly criticism
c. improper reviewOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aNone of theseAll are correctOption B
- Literature, in its broadest sense, is any single body of written works. More restrictively, literature is writing considered to be an art form, or any single writing deemed to have artistic or intellectual value, often due to __________________ in ways that differ from ordinary usage.
a. arraying language
b. deploying language
c. boarding languageOnly aOnly bBoth a & bBoth b & cAll are correctOption B