Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- Many in the cities go to bed at night with curtains ___________________ off lights, and wake up when the alarm sounds. There are few environmental signals to tell us that it is morning. But go to villages and you wake up to the crowing of the cock.
a. emaciated to close
b. drawn to shut
c. crisped to turnOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption A
- Last evening, I went out with my college friend to a popular coffee shop in Kolkata, crowded with young lovers bedecked in the colours of Saraswati Puja, a festival that__________________ of spring.
a. follows the nadir
b. heralds the beginning
c. calls the settlementOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption D
- It was only in 2009 that Sheikh Ghulam Rasool, chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Right to Information (RTI) movement and a government doctor in Srinagar, _________________ of the residents’ predicament.
c. became awareOnlyOnlyOnlyOnlyAll are correctOption E
- As I watched Oprah articulate what millions of women all over the world were experiencing and convey such strong resolve ______________________ speech of the Cecil B. DeMille Award for outstanding contributions to entertainment, I felt awe for the power of her choice.
a. during her acceptance
b. for her recognition
c. ahead of her assentOnly aOnly bOnly a & bOnly b & cAll are correctOption A
- Nowhere has the dramatic ascent of China to the helm of global affairs pinched more than in Japan, a country that has ________________ itself as the preeminent power in Asia. A large part of the 21st century China’s rise has to do with its indispensability to global trade.
a. extensively bragged
b. long prided
c. fleetingly humbledOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption A
- For a Japan that has struggled on occasion to find global relevance in the shadow of China’s rise, this crisis has emerged as an opportunity to demonstrate its continued muscle. The CPTPP is _________________ on March 8 in Chile.
a. anticipated for the stamp
b. slated for signature
c. lathed for adscriptOnly aOnly bOnly a & bOnly b & cAll are correctOption C
- Artistes explore the multiplicity of human emotions and its various _______________. They absorb all that is around them, learn and borrow from it to better their craft. It would seem appropriate then that we be most aware of issues that hurt society.
a. models of locution
b. shapes of contortion
c. forms of expressionOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly a & cOnly cAll are correctOption C
- The RTI response revealed that of the 941 petitions filed in the court for quashing charges framed under the PSA since March 2016, as many as 764 orders were ___________________: this revealed how most charges framed under the law could not stand up to judicial scrutiny.
a. approved for quashing
b. endorsed for resisting
c. validated for stiflingOnly a & cOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly aAll are correctOption A
- I started introspecting on my own single life. When did I begin to realise it wasn’t so much a choice as a _____________________ that I must eventually get used to and learn to adapt to, despite the occasional speed-breaks. That being single wasn’t only about relationship-centric fears.
a. conclusion of conditions
b. canyon of fortune
c. culmination of circumstancesOnly a & bOnly a & cOnly b & cOnly cAll are correctOption B
- How loud is the crowing of a rooster? This has been studied by a Belgian group. Using an ______________________ the sound intensity, they found it to be as loud as what hits our ears when we stand next to a jet aircraft.
a. tool that estimates
b. instrument that measures
c. apparatus that postulatesOnly aOnly a & bOnly bOnly b & cAll are correctOption C