Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- Even the larger proposals in the 2018 budget speech are not big enough to make a _________________. Much of India’s budget is non-discretionary and mandated by law.
a. substantial impression
b. significant dent
c.considerable markOnly b & cOnly a & cOnly cAll are correctOption E
- Yes, but do maintain records on the market price and quantity of all the stocks you own as on January 31, for the taxman. When you sell them many years later, you’ll ________________ the LTCG tax.
a. demand it to reckon
b. weed it to anticipate
c. need it to calculateOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly a & cOnly aAll are correctOption C
- A remarkable feature of this budget is that it ____________________ by actually raising customs duty across a slew of essentially labour-intensive sectors. This marks an effort to address the crisis over jobs lost due to FTA-related imports over time, and more recently due to the glitches on the GST front.
a. bucks the trend
b. complies the fashion
c. confirms the tendencyOnly a & bonly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption D
- Investment in physical and social infrastructure is a better bet than protectionism. India’s recent move seems to be an effort to ____________________ on the protectionist climate the world over.
c. cash inOnly a & bOnly b & conly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption E
- There is no change in the rate of tax for firms. Thus, the finance minister has ensured that the bulk of companies will enjoy _____________________ of 25 per cent of tax while firms will not have the benefit.
a. discriminatory level
b. a preferential status
c. exclusive inventionOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption A
- Nani Palkhiwala narrates the story of a monk who belonged to an order where no one was allowed to complain even in the most trying circumstances. He once found a mouse in his mug of beer and was at his wit’s end trying to let his___________________ without committing a breach of discipline.
a. opportunity be obscure
b. predicament be known
c. dilemma be recognizeOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly a & cOnly bAll are correctOption B
- China was always a __________________. But the kings of the region got by in a peaceful manner with their strong neighbour by paying tributes.
a. looming presence
b. generous distress
c. impending existenceOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption C
- The strengths and weakness section brings some balance to this narrative that at times ____________________. Whether or not the Nobel Peace Prize will be awarded to Asean , only time will tell, but the authors make a convincing case in this book.
a. saps to extol
b. starves to laud
c. tends to eulogiseOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption D
- “Don’t worry, Prime Minister will translate the Budget speech into English.” This was overheard in Parliament as Finance Minister Arun Jaitley kept switching between English and Hindi while reading his speech. And the pandits were ____________________.
a. bang on
b. spot on
c. death rightOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption E
- Budget figures are ____________________ , but this year they seem to be creating confusion. The Finance Ministry has already come out with a formal clarification on the expenditure on tax administration.
a. presumed to be profane
b. supposed to be sacrosanct
c. purported to be delicateOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption D