Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- Waiving farm loans or providing financial help are only quick-fix efforts, not long-lasting solutions. Agriculture experts can play a ___________________ in helping the farming community get returns commensurate with their expenses and physical toil.
a. conspicuous job
b. prominent role
c. obscure dutyOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption A
- ________________ the geology of sedimentary basins of offered blocks under HELP, Gujarat’s thick Cambay shale, the major source rock in Cambay basin, has the potential for shale oil and shale gas.
a. According to
b. In the light of
c. As alleged byOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption E
- Evidence of accounting shenanigans at Ricoh India, the Indian arm of Japanese multinational Ricoh Global, have been ________________ the closet for 18 months now. This week, the market regulator passed an order restraining six (current and former) top managers of the company from dealing in the securities market and ordered forensic audits of its past financials.
a. come to
c. tumbling out ofOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption E
- The forensic auditors (PwC) had a shocker to impart to Ricoh India’s shareholders. Once the irregularities were adjusted, the company reported a net loss of ₹1,117 crore on a topline of ₹998 crore for FY16. Write-offs relating to the fraud also completely _______________ its networth.
b. wiped out
c. corroborateOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption D
- The only way for SEBI to now restore some confidence would be to pursue this investigation on ___________________and immediately impose strong penalties on both the internal and external perpetrators of this fraud. One hopes that, on this count at least, the Ricoh India saga turns out to be materially different from the Satyam story.
a. garrison state
b. a war footing
c. mobilizationOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption E
- The surprising ___________________ displayed by the three domestic stock exchanges, the BSE, the NSE and the MSEI, in halting the sharing of security and index data with foreign exchanges and trading platforms, appears to be part of a well-planned strategy that aims to achieve two objectives.
a. exhibition of harmony
b. the indication of rivalry
c. show of solidarityOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption C
- The exchanges have been bearing a loss due to the transaction charges foregone, owing to this migration in trading volume; the exchequer has also been earning lower tax revenue from capital market trades. The charges for the live-data feed and for licensing the indices to foreign exchanges are not _____________________ the exchanges.
a. adequate to manifest
b. sufficient to reimburse
c. enough to compensateOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption B
- The exchanges in the GIFT IFSC could enter into an agreement with other offshore exchanges to develop products that could be jointly listed and traded, with mutual benefits. The exchanges also ___________________ the rationale behind the move to global investors so that they do not turn away permanently from Indian securities.
a. need to communicate
b. require to withhold
c. desire to checkOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption D
- The Budget came, and went, even as the manufacturing sector succumbed to the infant industry thesis one again. For starters, the infant industry thesis says fledgling units need protection until they gain ____________________ that match their older, bigger rivals. Unfortunately, as many think, segments such as mobile phones, TVs, automobiles are no longer nascent industries by any standards in India.
c. economies of scaleOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption
economy of scale = a proportionate saving in costs gained by an increased level of production.
- When industries of the exporting country provide ___________________ of industries in the importing country, it is called forward linkages, whilst when industries in the importing country import intermediate products to be used in its exports, it is known as backward linkages.
a. entries into acception
b. openings into expatriation
c. inputs into exportsOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption B