Directions: Each of the following question contains a paragraph and a blank in it. Choose from the options, the appropriate phrase to fill in the blank that is both logically and grammatically correct.
- In recent years, the Centre has taken several initiatives such as the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY), electronic National Agricultural Market (e-NAM), soil health card, neem-coated urea and so on to reduce agrarian distress. However, these have not been adequate ________________________________________.
to raise the MSP by at least by one and a half times the cost of productionto undertake procurement operations for 24 crops for which minimum support price (MSP) is announced.to yield the desired result in a short span of timeto introduce a composite crop insurance scheme to cover both crop failure and market failureAll are correctOption C
Initiatives are always been taken to bring out some results. So, among all C is the most appropriate option.
- The Reserve Bank of India’s latest move to simplify the resolution framework — doing away with all old restructuring schemes in the process — comes as no surprise, given the pace at which bad loans are surfacing again. Following the RBI’s first asset quality review (AQR) two years ago, state-owned banks _______________________ and a whopping ₹2.7 lakh-odd crore of bad loans were added to the system in fiscal 2016.
rightly addresses the key reason behind steep divergenceswill now have to begin the resolution processhas rightly stepped in to flush out the rothad reported sharp slippagesAll are correctOption D
- Since the outbreak of the crisis in Maldives less than a fortnight ago, Indian opinion stands firmly divided on the possible role India should play in its ‘regional sphere’ of influence. While some suggest gunboat diplomacy, ____________________________and thwarting off Chinese inroads into this island country, others christen this action monumentally stupid and instead suggest mute spectatorship or the use of soft power mechanisms.
any restrictions on the trade of essential commoditiescan be blamed entirely for itaimed at donning the mantle of a regional gianthas been as deeply fractured as unreliable with its strategic signallingAll are correctOption C
donning the dismantle means to unveil the cover of sth which is in tune with the preceeding statement
- The ministry of defence has to be lauded for its proposed move not to make any further investments in the state-owned defence production sector which has, over the years, _________________________________. Today India is the largest arms importer in the world and spends annually on an average about $3.6 billion, which is more than the combined imports of both Pakistan and China. Over seven decades of nationhood, the state-owned defence industrial combine, except for missilery, communication systems and some low technology items, has not contributed notably to self-reliance in defence production.
become a drag on the economywas in view of their dismal performancehave been partially disinvesteddeters private industry from integration with the state-owned defence industryAll are correctOption A
the statement ends with “has” so, option B,C & D are gramatically incorrect
- Imagine moving countries for a brand-new job, only to discover that you have been sold to your employer for $4,700. It sounds preposterous, but is the real-life story of Salma Begum, a 39-year-old Indian Hyderabadi woman, which made headlines last year. Salma, duped by fraudulent recruitment agents, was sold to her employer in Saudi Arabia, who tortured her after she refused to marry him. While Salma made it to Mumbai after an intervention by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, ____________________________________
local embassies have to navigate difficult territoryhordes of blue collar migrants in similar positions are not as fortunate.to ensure safe migration would be a falsehoodsince the government first proposed that those with an ECR stamp instead have different-coloured passports for easy identification, a proposal that it later scrapped.All are correctOption B
- The Tamil Nadu government’s move to roll out mobile libraries for schools in 12 districts scripts a new chapter in the State’s impressive history of promoting public and school libraries, especially for the poor and marginalised communities, and ____________________________. This comes at a time when India’s library movement stares at a crisis thanks to factors including shortage of funds and government apathy.
sends out a strong message to peerssets an example for other States to emulateencourage private players to earmark and channel CSR fundswants to reach the one billion ‘information-poor’ peopleAll are correctOption B
as the statement says that the state has scripted a new chapter in the history of the state, so, it must be a lesson for others. hence, B is correct.
- Formalisation and, therefore, mainstreaming of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) has been taking place at a rapid place since demonetisation and the introduction of the Goods and Services Tax. The budget for the next fiscal __________________________ in such a way that it sets off a cycle of easing access to finance, lowering tax incidence, and encouraging job creation.
is trying to change this paradigm with the TReDS -GSTN linkageset to increase in the corporate bond market, and the regulatory pressure to reduce large corporate exposuresaccelerates this process by incentivising formalisationhas proposed to revamp the online loan sanctioning facility for MSMEs for prompt decision-makingAll are correctOption C
- Union Budgets at times include provisions that act as the Government’s response to court decisions that __________________________. The retrospective amendment to tax Vodafone-type transactions is a good example. Union Budget 2018 has amended some provisions in the Income Computation and Disclosure Standards (ICDS) as a response to the decision of the Delhi High Court in the case of Chamber of Income Tax Consultants in which many ICDS provisions were held to be ultra vires (beyond the powers of) the Income Tax Act.
shall be valued at lower of actual cost or net realisable valuethat the valuation of inventory shall be made at lower of actual cost or net realisable valuewould be permitted as a deduction from incomehave gone against the regimeAll are correctOption D
- Well, the Government of India doesn’t share your envy, if the latest Union Budget is anything to go by. Instead, it thinks cryptocurrencies are a mess. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley disappointed cryptocurrency fans, especially those who mine, trade and spend in bitcoins, by saying the Government thinks cryptocurrencies, be they bitcoins or any similar entity, ____________________. This means a virtual ban on the use of the digital currency in this geography.
there are no official estimates available on thisit can’t be stolenare not legal tender in Indiause it to bolster the digital economyAll are correctOption C
disappointment comes by the failure of something. So, c is apt according to the context.
- The issue of minimum support price will always be mired in controversy. Ideally, the market should be setting the price with all checks at manipulation being in place. However, in our complex society, farmers are a major constituency from the political standpoint as well as ____________________________. It is not just the share in GDP that matters but also the purchasing power provided for other industries being linked directly with other sectors.
suppliers of basic inputs for the rest of the economyjuxtaposes the MSP with the costs as well as those with the new multiplethe cost is laudable as it ensures that the farmers get a higher price and incomewould mean making some upward revisions for the cropsAll are correctOption A