Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- The final Expression of Interest to prospective bidders could turn out to be a Hobson’s Choice when there are enough indications that it is____________________ . The divestment of Air India is also highly unlikely to be completed before year end.
a. keen to ring the phone
b. keen to have the cake and eat it too
c. keen tot enjoy yourselfOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption D
keen to have the cake and eat it too = to have or do two good things at the same time that are impossible to have or do at the same time
- Emissions from manufacturing electric cars __________________ at least 50 per cent higher because batteries are made from materials such as lithium, copper and refined silicon, which require much energy to be processed. Green vehicles are deceptive. Efforts would be better spent on pursuing water-fuelled cars.
a. wind up
b. finish up
c. end upOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption E
- Introducing MP Shashi Tharoor to an audience at a Chamber meeting in Chennai, the host said, Tharoor’s reputation as a wordsmith preceded him. The ‘Tharoorosaurus’ spewed words such as rodomontade and farrago, found only in the dictionary, said the host. Tharoor said there was always a danger of hosts ___________________ into the internet for stuff on the guest speaker.
a. digging too deep
b. mortifying too deep
c. harrowing too deepOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption C
- ___________________ the agriculture beat in the capital got a nasty surprise last week. After being invited for the inaugural session of an important two-day conference on doubling farmers’ income by 2022, the journalists were told they were not welcome, barely 24 hours before the meet.
a. Tips & tricks veiling
b. Hacks covering
c. Hints amplifyingOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption A
- The problem starts at the order confirmation page which wrongly assumes that the ordering person is the same as the recipient. A simple fix would be to ask customers to enter contact information of the intended receiver (phone numbers, email) so that it becomes part of the order record — and all communication is sent to both ordering customer and ______________________.
a. intended recipient
b. deliberate sender
c. spontaneous beneficiaryOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption D
- The system works perfectly as long as someone is available to receive a package. In case this fails, e-commerce companies have introduced_____________________solutions. Customers could designate pick-up points from where they could receive packages after validating identity.
a. artistic back-up
b. creative back-up
c. innovative back-upOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption E
- Couriers also arrive during sacred afternoon siesta times. Senior citizens have _________________ called bells during these hours assuming that intruders are salespeople. The courier leaves disappointed, noting incorrectly that the customer was not available.
a. erudite to dismiss
b. lettered to scrutinize
c. learned to ignoreOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption C
- A mantra in the e-commerce world is to deliver items as soon as possible, even beating the company’s original estimated delivery date. But this over-achievement can ____________________ at single family home addresses.
a. generate mayhem
b. devise cosmos
c. create havocOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption C
- Creating a substantial role for the private sector in nationalised banks needs a well ___________________ and commitment to seeing it through. This can hardly happen in a pre-election year.
a. thought out roadmap
b. prepense strategy
c. aforethought flukeOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption A
- The decline in commitment to the organisation among youngsters has dovetailed with falling morale among older employees who see no future for public sector banking. Unlike successive Congress governments which swore by nationalised banks, the present government, whose commitment to the public sector in general is low, is seen to be only tactically _____________________ in banking.
a. devoted to the revolution
b. committed to the status quo
c. dedicated to the lapseOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption D