Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- Margaret Thatcher came to power kick-starting a wave of privatisations across sectors that were also pursued by Labour governments, and helped jump-start privatisation initiatives across the world, the radical left-ward shift within the Labour party in Britain has now put the issue of nationalisation firmly back on the _____________________.
a. public agenda
b. open news
c. social announcementsOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption E
- The gems and jewellery trade, a prominent voice in the chorus of protest against the RBI’s move, is particularly suited to this sort of activity, as valuations can be manipulated. That said, a considered step to regulate LoUs, that does not _________________________ the baby with the bathwater is advisable.
b. throw out
c. cast asideOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption B
- The RBI should ask banks to connect their systems to SWIFT and do a ____________________ on a case-by-case basis, and ensure that genuine businessmen are not affected. It should prescribe a checklist of sanction, appraisal and reporting, and impose an accountability clause.
a. fastidious credit valuation
b. slovenly credit babble
c. meticulous credit appraisalOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly a & cOnly cAll are correctOption C
- The gruelling six-day protest march from Nasik to Mumbai by thousands of farmers in a disciplined way should be a _____________________ for future protests. The point to note is that the march was stopped 2 km from the Maharashtra Assembly to allow the government officials to negotiate with the protestors; thus, the march did not disrupt normal life.
a. great example
b. role model
c. protagonistOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption E
- There are just not enough judges in the various courts. Consequently, the available members of the staff are given additional charge; sometimes covering many posts. The stress results in_____________________ of service. As for the level of auditing services, the less said the better.
a. world class
b. inferior quality
c. low classOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption B
- Instead of an unregulated economy, the public favours regulation. Instead of companies _______________________ above all else, they want businesses to make less profit and be more socially responsible. Instead of privatised water, electricity, gas and railway sectors, they want public ownership.
a. attempting for outgo
b. straining for forfeit
c. striving for profitOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption B
- The South-East Asia region is healthier than ever. Polio has been vanquished. Maternal and neonatal tetanus has been eliminated. And after decades of struggle, the HIV, TB and malaria epidemics have been _________________________. They will be ended altogether in coming years.
a. halted and reversed
b. terminated and fronted
c. paused and transposedOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly a & cOnly bAll are correctOption C
- The effective use of rapid diagnostics, for example, can facilitate swift and _______________________ of a range of NTDs, at the same time as helping health workers reach large and often under-served populations. IT infrastructure should be integrated with existing surveillance systems, allowing programme managers to gather, analyse and act on real-time data.
a. rigorous prognosis
b. precise dithering
c. accurate diagnosisOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly a & cOnly cAll are correctOption C
- Confined to a wheel chair, he sported a cherubic smile and exuded grace. He was instantly recognisable all over the world. His iconic image was uplifting and inspirational. His _____________________ disease could not hold his mind back from roaming the infinite universe. His books simplified complex and stupendously-difficult-to-grasp theories with the ease of a story-teller to the benefit of non-specialists and lay people.
c. stimulatingOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are correctOption D
- The setbacks to BJP in the byelections have diluted to a ________________________ the euphoria generated after the party’s spectacular show in the north-eastern belt. However, it is doubtful whether the SP-BSP bonhomie in UP will extend further to the next elections to the Lok Sabha or the State Assembly given the ambitions nursed by respective leaders to don the mantle on their own.
a. great extent
c. great aslantOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are correctOption A