Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- Much of the outrage around the recent Cambridge Analytica incident has ___________________ the fact that academic Aleksandr Kogan could, with a simple Facebook survey app, leverage 270,000 survey respondents to gain access to the data of 50 million users directly from the Facebook platform.
a. concentrated between
b. centred around
c. focused aboutOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption B
- With the forest surrounding the Aarey Milk Colony in Goregaon already under threat from the Mumbai Metro and the Mahalaxmi Race Course battling constantly to ____________________ builders and other profiteers, one cannot be too optimistic about the survival of any greenery in the city.
a. stave off
b. ward off
c. fend offOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E
- Facebook has been at the centre of public debate since the news of Russian trolls influencing the 2016 US presidential elections. The Cambridge Analytica controversy has given new life to calls for government regulation. Most tech companies are usually wary of government involvement and adopt a ___________________ to self-regulate instead.
a. proactive approach
b. vigorous way
c. dynamic fleeOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption A
- When Union finance minister Arun Jaitley during the budget speech declared that the government does not consider cryptocurrencies legal tender, and will take all measures to eliminate use of these crypto-assets in financing illegitimate activities or as part of the payment system, it ended an era of _________________ and optimistic uncertainty in the cryptocurrency industry.
a. administrative tolerance
b. supervisory indulgence
c. regulatory forbearanceOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption C
- ML defers to a very weak requirement of the recognition of what John Stuart Mill called a protected ____________________, in which personal preferences are socially respected. More specifically, ML demands that for each of at least two individuals in society.
a. intimate verge
b. private life
c. personal sphereOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption B
- Another entire section tackles the ____________________ of AI and employment. While, by its own admission, the task force is “sanguine” about the overall impact of AI on employment, the report argues, citing a number of a studies, that AI will in all likelihood create more jobs than it will destroy.
a. vexing question
b. pacifying inquiry
c. annoying interrogationOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption C
- Indian banks haven’t turned any friendlier towards small businesses even though the current bad loan mess has arisen from large borrowers. Small businesses continue to be seen with ____________________ and data from the banking sector only underscores this trend.
a. a beady eye
c. suspicionOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E
- While it is indeed theoretically possible to “burn” of those excess calories with more exercise, people are over optimistic about how much they think they can ____________________ (remember the Google Cupcake fiasco above?) and routinely under estimate how much they overate.
a. rule out
b. burn off
c. blisterOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E
- A Mint analysis of a wide range of economic and development indicators shows that claims of both parties are __________________. While Karnataka does not seem to have taken a big march over other states in national rankings, it has also not regressed much over the past few years.
c. overstatedOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E
- With US-China trade tensions showing no signs of abating, the three Asian (ex-Japan) countries whose exports are most vulnerable to a tit-for-tat trade war are Taiwan, Vietnam and South Korea. The chart, taken from a report by DBS Group Research, shows the percentage share of exports to US and China of the total exports of a country. A ___________________ is bound to impact the currency and equity markets.
a. higher exposure
b. major disclosure
c. surpassing exemptionOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption A