Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- The decline this time has been led by the US equity market that was in a similar __________________ . Both the Indian as well as the US market have not witnessed a meaningful corrections exceeding 5 per cent in 2017. Valuation in both markets rose to unsustainable levels.
a. illogical ascent
b. irrational uptrend
c. ridiculous ascendOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption E
- The sixth and final monetary policy statement of the Reserve Bank of India for fiscal 2017-18 held no surprises, as expected. Though the _____________________ to be neutral and the rates are unchanged, the language appears just that bit hawkish when the central bank refers to factors that may yet cause inflation to spike in the second half of the next fiscal.
c. stance continuesOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption B
- Encouraged by positive news that came in after the CSO pegged its first advance estimate of GDP growth for this fiscal at 6.1 per cent, the RBI has projected growth at 6.6 per cent for this fiscal and at 7.2 per cent for 2018-19, which is at the lower end of the estimate made in the Economic Survey. Early signs of an investment revival, improving credit offtake and rising capital goods output seem to have enthused the MPC which has at least for now _________________________ over inflation.
a. privileged growth .
b. favoured development
c. eligible attenuationOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption A
- the proposal to tax the digital economy, which has transformed the global business landscape and enhanced productivity levels, poses challenges. More than brick-and-mortar businesses, companies in the digital space _____________________ on intangible assets; often, the precise geographies in which discernible value creation occurs is difficult to fathom.
a. confide asymmetrically
b. rely disproportionately
c. reckon undulyOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption E
- The experience of the southern States tells us that insurance works best when public health infrastructure is well developed. RSBY seems to have been less effective where most of the hospitals empanelled are private ones, as in Bihar. Health insurance can supplement, and not substitute, ____________________ public health infrastructure — the present level of 1.2 per cent of government spending on GDP needs to be doubled.
a. exertions to blight
b. endeavors to jeff
c. efforts to improveOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption D
- In the stock market, big-ticket crimes involving insider trading, front-running or price rigging hog the limelight. But one widely-used market manipulation device that flies under the radar, mainly because it involves small entities and obscure stocks, is ____________________ trading. In this, two parties place premeditated orders for identical quantities of stock at a pre-decided price. Reversal trades exactly mirror these positions.
a. unauthorized synchronised
b. illegal synchronised
c. prohibited synchronisedOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E
- The one disconcerting fact, though, is the inordinately long time it has taken for this denouement. Given that these manipulative trades occurred in 2007, it is doubtful if these belated and _________________________ will serve as any serious deterrent to other manipulators.
a. mild penalties
b. extreme forfeitures
c. severe retributionsOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption E
- A little over a year later, coal-based power plants in the country are almost out of stock of fuel. This is the second time a ___________________ has loomed — first in October 2017 and now in February 2018. According to Central Electricity Authority data, as of February 6, six plants had less than seven days of coal stock, while 14 others had even less — fewer than four days’ consumption.
a. furnish predicament
b. supply crisis
c. provision quiescenceOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption A
- There are over two lakh vacancies in the Railways, of which a lakh, according to the Kakodkar panel, pertain to safety alone. Notably, according to the DP Tripathi committee report on loco pilots, about 16,000 posts remain unfilled. Automation will require a _________________ from one job description to another, without any impact on outcomes.
a. marginalized of executives
b. rejigging of workers
c. degraded of managersOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption D
- There is no one solution for what ails India’s healthcare system, nor are there any quick fixes. The challenges that Kerala faces are very different from those facing Uttar Pradesh, given the widely different demographic profile, and education and income levels of their people. Kerala’s achievements are the result of years of _______________________ literacy and healthcare by successive governments and dedicated non-government institutions.
a. allegiance to advance
b. dedication to evolve
c. commitment to improvingOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E