Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- Market regulator SEBI should increase its investor awareness programmes to keep investors from __________________ equities altogether. With a deluge of money being ploughed into mutual funds over the past year, many new investors have begun investing in equity through the MF route.
a. frightening and venting
b. panicking and exiting
c. petrifying and appearingOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption D
- The central bank has projected inflation rising to between 5.1 and 5.6 per cent in the first half of 2018-19 and though it is expected to moderate to 4.5-4.6 per cent in the second half, the risks are tilted to the upside. Crucially, one of the factors underpinning the ___________________ is that the monsoon will be favourable and that food prices will remain soft.
a. slender enclosure
b. lither protrusion
c. softer projectionOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption B
- The Finance Bill, 2018 attempts to advance the effort, in India and in other jurisdictions, to find ways to tax the digital economy, particularly when companies operate across borders without a ‘_______________________’ in the markets where their end-consumers are.
a. permanent establishment
b. everlasting annulment
c. persistent foundationOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption C
- The National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS), which promises to provide a cover of ₹5 lakh each to 10 crore households (50 crore people, or about 40 per cent of the population), marks a big step forward to make secondary and tertiary healthcare affordable to the poor. The initiative is ____________________ “catastrophic” out-of-pocket expenses, which are estimated to drive a staggering 63 million (a Health Ministry estimate) into poverty each year.
a. subject to curtail
b. predisposed to diminish
c. likely to reduceOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption E
- In the instant case against Rakhi Trading and others, SEBI had contended that, by __________________ and reversal trades in 13 Nifty options contracts at varying prices, the accused had manipulated the market to book artificial losses for tax purposes. The Securities and Appellate Tribunal (SAT), while admitting that the trades were synchronised, held that they did not amount to market manipulation because derivative trades cannot influence the market (Nifty index) and moreover do not entail delivery.
a. reviving coincided
b. executing synchronised
c. transacting adjustedOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption D
- Coal imports have risen despite a 40 per cent jump in international coal prices. At the same time domestic supply has been flat (Coal India’s production in the April 2017-January 2018 period rose by just 1.6 per cent). Logistics issues —poor rail links from the mines, insufficient loading infrastructure and non-availability of rakes — ____________________. This possibly explains why all the 20 power plants that have critical coal stock levels are non-pithead plants.
a. proceed to assist
b. endure to abjure
c. continue to hauntOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption D
- The inability of the Railways to spend the Centre’s outlay perhaps tells us that the former has its task cut out when it comes to execution. This is borne out by the ______________________ with respect to DFC. Managerial reform steps such as delegation of powers to general managers do not seem to have yielded results so far. The Centre needs to fix this issue soon, given the dire infrastructure shortcomings with respect to safety, requiring investment in track maintenance, automatic signalling and training of the workforce.
a. dilatory relapse
b. tardy progress
c. sluggish developmentOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption B
- The NITI Aayog report has correctly identified that health of the population is central to the nation’s well-being and productivity, and that the country’s progress on this count is ________________________. India accounts for the largest share of the world’s malnourished people.
a. grossly inadequate
b. crudely generous
c. egregiously sizableOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption D
- The SWIFT is used for transferring funds across borders. In what appears to be a deliberate act, the Mumbai branch did not seek transaction details from overseas banks. It’s shocking that even a _______________________ of PNB’s nostro account (an account held by a bank in another in foreign currency) was not carried out by the bank or the auditors.
a. essential accord
b. peripheral inducement
c. basic reconciliationOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption C
- The flurry of arrests at PNB is not enough. The conspiracy runs deep. The system of ______________________ in the system as a whole, and in PSBs in particular, is clearly broken, going by the jump in NPAs and frauds. The Centre cannot afford to delay governance reforms in PSBs any longer.
a. credit appraisal
b. loan evaluation
c. credence characterizationOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption A