Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- The market regulator has finally laid down its arms in the battle against algorithmic trading in India. For the changes announced to algo trading rules in SEBI’s recent Board Meeting are mainly __________________ the complaints of the users of stock exchanges’ colocation facilities, from where most algo programs are run.
a. deliberately approaching
b. aimed at addressing
c. intentionally orationingOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E
- The Prime Minister needs to be commended for reacting as swiftly as he did to reverse the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting’s ill-advised move to place curbs on journalists’ access to Central government ministries and officials in the guise of __________________ on ‘fake news’.
a. cracking down
b. choking back
c. bring offOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption
- As expected, the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) has chosen to keep repo rates unchanged, citing a range of risks – internal and external – that could destabilise the economy. However, its arguments for not reducing interest rates are __________________ . On the domestic side, the RBI Governor has observed that the Centre’s intent to hike farm support prices could lead to higher borrowings.
a. capriciously hesitant
b. approximately equivocal
c. decidedly ambivalentOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption D
- A large part of Indian banks’ non-performing asset (NPA) woes can be traced to the fact that when their lending decisions __________________ , they sweep them under the carpet to present a palatable financial picture to the public. This window-dressing is now set to extend to their treasury operations too.
a. go awry
b. keep track
c. go astrayOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption C
When something goes wrong with a decent plan, you say it has gone awry
- Come summer, and Tamil Nadu’s political class has again taken to the streets, this time against the Centre for not setting up the Cauvery Management Board (CMB), as directed by the Supreme Court in February. The CMB is supposed __________________ a schedule for the monthly release of water by Karnataka and ensure that this is implemented.
a. to move in
b. to draw up
c. step on itOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption
to draw up means . To cause to move after or toward one by applying continuous force
- The Karnataka Assembly elections, to be held on May 12 across 224 constituencies, could __________________ for the polls to follow later this year in Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh, besides the 2019 general elections. It poses a test to both the BJP and the Congress in different ways. For the BJP, a win in Karnataka would give it a foothold in the south, where its presence, generally speaking, is less than significant.
a. set the tone
c. demarcateOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption E
set the tone = To establish the mood of something, or the manner in which something will be conducted
- The last couple of years have seen quite a lot of dirty linen being washed in public about the flexible corporate governance standards at India Inc. It is therefore __________________ that there wasn’t a more comprehensive public debate around the recommendations of the Uday Kotak Committee on corporate governance, which submitted its report last October.
a. rather eye-opening
b. quite surprising
c. pretty mind-bogglingOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption B
- For the lakhs of students appearing for the ‘board’ exams, the leak of the Class X Mathematics paper and the Class XII Economics paper has been __________________ . While it is laudable that no time has been lost in tracking down the ringleaders, it is important to nail administrative culpability and, more so, address process and policy failures. It is, for instance, baffling that the CBSE prepared just a single set of question papers, against the usual practice of keeping two or three sets ready.
a. acutely disorienting
b. intensely confusing
c. acidulously bemusingOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption A
- The Government’s decision __________________ its market borrowing programme for FY19 is a watershed event for the domestic bond market with implications for government finances. In the last three months, a spirited tug-of-war has been on between the RBI, which manages the public debt programme, and bond market participants in the periodic auctions.
a. to chop and change
b. constantly developing
c. vary continuouslyOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption E
chop and change is an idiom wihch means To continually change one’s course of action
- E-way bills are once again supposed to come into effect from April 1, after the__________________ to get started with inter-State transactions on budget day. Hopefully, the software backbone will be better equipped to handle the crush of businesspersons. E-way bills — a document opened by the consignor, consignee, and in some cases, the transporter, to accompany the transportation of goods in excess of ₹50,000 — are meant to ensure consistency and simplicity in documentation and seamless movement of goods within the country.
a. botched effort
b. snafued struggle
c. marred exertionOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption
As the following statement says, “hopefully, the software backbone will be better equipped to handle the crush”….. means sth contradicting has taken place. Botched means to carry out sth carelessly. Snafu is to create chaos which is not coherent with the statement.