Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- While the revised tribunal award rightly takes groundwater into account, it is too generous towards Bengaluru, a metropolis that has done _______________________ to conserve its water resources. The ruling should have pushed Bengaluru to revive its dying lakes and recycle its water.
a. despised minute
b. precious little
c. vile slightOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption D
- There may be pragmatic considerations driving the RBI’s decision. Liberal splotches of red ink on P&Ls may have spooked depositors and aggravated public sector banks’ capital adequacy problems. Banks have stayed away from government bond auctions of late and the RBI was probably _______________________ them back too.
a. hassled to wheedle
b. under the gun to tempt
c. under pressure to cajoleOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are correctOption E
under the gun means under pressure
- The deepening of the corporate bond market, which acts on cues other than inflation, has been a welcome development. The bond market, however, moves independently of the MPC. With banks too dipping into this pool, their loan rates have _______________________of the MPC’s ambit. The MPC needs to take stock of these issues.
a. broken out
b. burst out
c. push throughOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption D
- Different democratic institutions, the judiciary and the legislature for instance, have assigned roles that are often perceived to be in conflict with each other. But no one with even a _______________________of how a democracy functions should have any doubt that the individual functioning of these institutions, including the media, is designed in the larger public interest.
a. basic awareness
b. peripheral understanding
c. outlying insightOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption B
- With algorithmic trades accounting for more than 40 per cent of the cash and derivative turnover and almost 80 per cent of the orders, curbing them can have a _______________________on market liquidity. SEBI is acknowledging this fact by stopping short with ensuring that these programs function smoothly without de-stabilising market operations.
a. detrimental consequence
b. poisonous wages
c. deleterious effectOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption C
- It is time for IT companies to show that they are much more than just about shipping low-cost skilled labour to countries such as the US _______________________. The industry needs to look inwards and find that entrepreneurial spark again, to quickly move up the value chain in terms of switching over to new transformational platforms such as robotics, artificial intelligence and automation.
a. to attract high income
b. to bring higher earnings
c. to drive higher marginsOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption B
- For stock market investors, it would certainly be good news if the earnings recovery at India Inc finally _______________________, after the string of misses over the last four years. Two big risks that can still scuttle this revival are rising interest rates and escalating input costs — which aren’t proving easy to pass on to consumers. But it would be a mistake to think that India Inc’s return to double-digit profit growth will provide new legs to the ongoing bull market.
b. gets underway
c. actualizesOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption E
- Till the last moment, it wasn’t clear whether India’s pique would extend to Modi refusing to meet Trudeau, and the suspense ended only when Modi sent out a welcome tweet on Thursday. The fact is that India and Canada have plenty of areas where cooperation is possible. Indian infotech companies, _______________________US moves to tighten immigration controls, are looking at Canada as a possible base.
a. reserved of
b. wary of
c. cautious ofOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption B
- Small businesses, which account for a major part of the export universe, are being made to invest a disproportionate amount of time, money and resources on GST compliance. The filing of summary returns on a monthly basis, with more detailed returns being filed on a half-yearly or annual basis, would help businesses breathe more easily. The _______________________ in the exports sector does not sit well with the Centre’s otherwise well-earned reputation of having generally eased the conduct of business.
a. permanence of officialism
b. tenacity of impediment
c. persistence of red tapismOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption E
- The Centre’s decision, though belated, is welcome. If the process of allocation of mines is _______________________ and other concerns such as evacuation bottlenecks and the financial health of power producers are addressed, the era of coal shortages could well become history.
a. transparently executed
b. lucidly shirked
c. clearly abortedOnly a & bOnly b & cOnly c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption D