Directions: In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.
- Individual members of a Supreme Court bench hearing achallenge to the validity of Section 497 of the Indian Penal Code on adultery have all spoken against the law as it stands, indicating that this could well be ___________________. And that would be the right thing to do.
b. struck down
c. swampedBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E
- Improving quality and offerings of higher education institutes requires money. For the bulk of the country’s higher education institutions, augmenting revenues will mean, at least in the short run, increasing tuition fees. While established universities, colleges and institutions can access alumni contributions and industry partnerships, and use their __________________, these options are not open to newer institutions.
a. significant carcass
b. substantial appendage
c. considerable corpusBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption C
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India has announced reserve prices for the next round of __________________, benignly setting the rates below those used for the 2016 bids, except in the case of one band. It might think it has been generous and the industry is thankless to keep whining about costs. It is wrong.
a. spectrum auctions
b. spectrum vendue
c. spectrum dispenseBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption D
- Sarbananda Sonowal, at present the BJP chief minister of Assam, had moved the Supreme Court in 2000 to invalidate the law that was being used to implement the 1985 Assam Accord that Rajiv Gandhi had _________________ the leaders of Assam Agitation, namely, the Illegal Migrants (Determination by Tribunals) Act, on the ground that it protected illegal migrants.
b. struck with
c. taken withBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption E
- Inflation is hardening, across the non-food, non-fuel groups in the price index. Oil prices remain range-bound but have the potential to turn volatile. Commodity prices across the board have been _______________. These could widen the trade deficit.
a. pinning down
c. firming upBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption E
- Indian Railways (IR) needs a speedy change of track to address faltering demand in crucial segments and falling revenues. Raghu Dayal ___________________, in a recent paper in Railway Gazette International, that domestic air travel is poised to overtake upper-class rail journeys as early as 2020 while rail freight faces ever greater competition from road transport. IR must rethink the policy of huge cross-subsidies.
b. points out
c. alludes toBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption B
- Home minister Rajnath Singh says no coercive action will be taken against anyone, amidst the tension spawned by National Register of Citizens publishing its draft list that excludes 40 lakh applicants in Assam. The state chief minister echoed him. We hope they _________________ their promise. However, the fact that the Centre has rushed 22,000 security personnel to Assam shows the scope for trouble.
a. live up to
c. castigateBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption A
- PM Narendra Modi did well to declare that he was not ___________________ in the company of corporate chieftains. This comes not a day too soon. With bad loans and flighty industrialists dominating the news, a narrative has once again been building up in which people who run companies are cast as villains.
a. apprehensive to be observed
b. alarmed to be ascertained
c. scared to be seen etchedBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly aAll are correctOption B
- Initiating the recent no-confidence motion, Telugu Desam Party MP Galla Jayadev __________________________ about the devolution to the states being only 36-37% of the Centre’s resources against the promised 42%. His point is valid. Blame it on cesses, kept outside the divisible pool. Galla did not take into account a Rs 8 per litre ‘road and infrastructure’ cess levied in this year’s Budget as a replacement for the additional duty of customs on petrol and diesel and additional excise duty on these two fuels.
a. brought up an issuue
b. raised a point
c. exalted a presageBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption A
- The draft national e-commerce policy that has been the subject of media reports is a mishmash of policy, wishful thinking, procedural reform and ___________________ . Its heart is in the right place: it wants to promote local champions. But what it proposes signally fails to contribute, save for the recommendation to allow startups to issue shares with differential voting rights.
a. labour in vain
b. waste of time
c. headacheBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption A