Directions(1-5): Rearrange the following parts of sentence to make a grammatically and syntactically meaningful paragraph.
- At the outset of 2019, the Labour left faces both an unprecedented set of opportunities and, potentially, an unprecedented crisis. / (A) and the divisions within the Conservative party deepen, the prospects for a transformative leftwing government this year look good./(B) it is entirely plausible that the Tories will lose control and be unable to prevent an election. / (C) As Theresa May hurtles towards what should be certain defeat on her Brexit deal, /(D) Even under the Fixed‑term Parliaments Act
ABCDBCDACADBCABDNone of theseOption C
- A lot of us have spent the past few weeks telling our children some fairly problematic stuff. / (A) That it’s acceptable to talk about the ins and outs of a virgin’s womb. That there was a genocidal king who murdered newborn boys. / (B) I can’t think of any context in which we would tell these stories other than Christmas, but I suppose we feel they are balanced out by their happy endings. Santa is a creepy idea but he does leave presents. / (C) That there’s an old man with a beard who breaks into our homes with a reindeer and watches them while they sleep. /(D) The traumatic experience of being homeless in another town with a birth imminent ends with a baby swaddled happily in a manger.
ABCDBCDACABDCADBNone of theseOption C
- It’s leaflets at the moment. If my son sees any, in a cafe for instance, he wants them all. / (A) because my son knew that if he stood next to me and shrieked like an agonised seagull no one could hear a thing. / (B) If we went outside, every item on display in the two village shops had to be named three times. I stopped going outside. I stopped trying to speak to anyone on the phone, / (C) We’ve got him down to a maximum of three. This is progress. When he lived at home, it was books – each one to be looked through swiftly, then reshelved on the other side of the room. / (D) Later he will want to go through them and then destroy each one, tearing them into tiny pieces.
CADBBCDACABDDCBANone of theseOption D
- Admittedly some of my enthusiasm is pure nostalgia. / (A) and humanity seemed to have a cat in hell’s chance of getting its act together. /(B) On the contrary: I would place a bet on 2019 being a year in which growing numbers of people join what is becoming known as the “attention resistance”./(C) I harbour a similar affection for toast and Marmite, and bleepy 1990s trance – these things take me back to a time when life was simpler, /(D) But ditching the smartphone is not purely a backward-looking decision.
DCBABCDACADBCABDNone of theseOption C
- In September 2015, a young Conservative political activist named Elliott Johnson took his own life. / (A) but this pattern of behavior is enabled, practiced and sometimes encouraged by politicians./ (B) In a letter found after his death, Johnson made allegations of bullying against the former Conservative parliamentary candidate, Mark Clarke, and others within the party. / (C) Sadly the culture of politics can be toxic, and many people continue to be harmed by it. / (D) One would hope that Johnson’s case would have changed the bullying and harassment across politics,
ABCDBCDACABDDCBANone of theseOption B
- New Delhi would have also liked the ____________ to exclude Canadian ministers suspected of sympathising with extremist Sikh groups in Canada, especially as they had already been in India controversially in the past few months — but Ottawa was ____________ they be included. Finally, the government wanted Mr. Trudeau to reach out to Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh well ahead of the visit, as the latter had been denied a trip to Canada in 2016 and was understandably offended.
V. pliantI-VII-IVIV-VIII-VNone of theseOption B
- Both Mr. Rajinikanth and Mr. Haasan are ____________ to fill the same political space, the vacuum created by the death of Jayalalithaa. They are hoping to take over the AIADMK’s vote bank on the assumption that the party will not survive another election. While Mr. Haasan has indicated he is not ____________ to political alliances, Mr. Rajinikanth has insisted he will contest all 234 Assembly constituencies. Inevitably, the two will find themselves in opposite camps.
V. sassyI-IIII-IVIII-IVIII-VNone of theseOption C
- Army chief General Bipin Rawat’s comments about an “____________ in demographics” and a “planned migration” from Bangladesh into the Northeast are unusual by any standards. India’s service chiefs have a long and healthy tradition of keeping away from political subjects in their public comments. But at a seminar in Delhi this week, General Rawat ____________ into political commentary when he talked about issues of religious identity, demographics, and India’s relations with its neighbours. He said that migration from Bangladesh into India is driven by two factors. The first is the acute pressure on land in Bangladesh.
V. strayedI-VII-IVIII-IIV-INone of theseOption A
- The intention was to ensure that there are no supply ____________ for power producers on account of abrupt disruptions in mining operations. Enabling provisions for commercial mining and sale of coal were already included in the Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Act of 2015; the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has now ____________ their operationalisation by clearing the methodology to be followed for auctioning rights. The government says the move will boost energy security, making coal affordable and creating jobs.
V. shocksI-IIIII-IIIV-IIIIV-VNone of theseOption D
- The biggest cause of death is premature birth, while the second is ____________ like asphyxia during delivery. Preventing these would mean paying attention to the mother’s health during pregnancy and ensuring she delivers in a hospital attended by trained doctors or midwives. India has programmes such as the Janani Suraksha Yojana for this, but must expand its reach in ____________ States like Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. Then there are factors outside the healthcare system, like female literacy rates, that make a big difference to healthcare-seeking behaviour.
V. punctualI-IIII-IVIV-VIII-IVNone of theseOption B
Directions (Q.6-10): The following statements has two blanks which are to be filled with the options given below. Each blank can be filled with more than one option. Find the combination/s which can most suitably complete the sentence without altering the meaning of the statement.