Directions(1-5): In each of the following questions a passage is given in which there is a blank. Choose the most logical and appropriate option from the five options given that can be filled in the blank.
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has rolled out Unified Payments Interface (UPI), a mobile payment solution which has the potential to revolutionise the payment system in the country. UPI does not require a specific bank account unlike existing players which offer the product to only those who have an account with them, thus significantly increasing the pool of customers UPI could tap into, compared to banks which have a limited universe of customers. ______________________________
According to a World Bank report, only 53 per cent of the Indian population or 636 million people have bank accounts, while close over 1,000 million have mobile phoneNational Payments Corporation of India said the UPI app will be available in next two to three working days for the customers to download and start usingAndhra Bank, Axis Bank, Bank of Maharashtra, Canara Bank, DCB Bank, Federal Bank, ICICI Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Karnataka Bank, UCO Bank, Union Bank of India, United Bank of India, Punjab National Bank are some of the banks that have joined the UPI platform.Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani has been an adviser to NPCI on the UPI project.Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan in April this year had soft- launched the new payment mechanism and it has been on a pilot run since then.Option B
- RBI has said it would seek legal changes to enable banks to pledge corporate bonds as collateral when borrowing funds from its overnight repo window. ________________________________Besides, the RBI said it would allow entities exposed to foreign currency risk to hedge up to $30 million.
It will also allow banks to issue rupee-denominated perpetual debt instruments overseas, which would qualify for inclusion as additional Tier 1 and Tier 2 capital.The report follows a list of proposed changes released by Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) last week.India-Pakistan ties touched a low after a raging controversy emerged after Rajnath Singh’s two-day visit to Pakistan earlier this month.India had strongly objected to Pakistan”s “restrictive approach” in denying visas to Indian journalists to cover the Saarc Home/Interior Ministers’ conference.As part of a series of steps to deepen fixed income and currency markets, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) also said it would amend its regulations shortly to allow foreign investors to transact in corporate bonds directly.Option E
- Instead of the finance minister Mr Arun Jaitley, Mr Shaktikanta Das is attending the two-day Saarc (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) meet of Finance Ministers at Islamabad._________________________. Apart from Jaitley, Bangladesh Finance Minister Abdul Maal Abdul Muhith is also missing from the Saarc meet, Pakistan’s Daily Times reported.
The two-day FMs meet is being held at Islamabad from 25th of AugustIndia-Pakistan ties touched a low after a raging controversy emerged after Rajnath Singh’s two-day visit to Pakistan earlier this month.India had strongly objected to Pakistan”s “restrictive approach” in denying visas to Indian journalists to cover the Saarc Home/Interior Ministers’ conference.It is of great significance to JNPT and will give a boost to the country’s economy.This evacuation corridor would help in supporting the EXIM trade besides providing economic opportunity to the local and region.Option A
- _____________________________IOC will be the second state-owned oil company after Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) to consider issuing bonus shares following a government directive. HPCL board had last month approved issuing two bonus shares of Rs 10 each for every existing one.
IOC is India’s largest commercial enterprise, with a sales turnover of Rs 3,99,601 crore (USD 61 billion) and profits of Rs 10,399 crore (USD 1.58 billion) for the year 2015-16.It is ranked 161st among the world’s largest corporates (and first among Indian companies) in the prestigious Fortune ‘Global 500’ listing for the year 2016.The government owns 58.28 per cent stake in IOC, which controls nearly half of India’s fuel market, 35 per cent national oil refining capacity and 71 per cent of downstream sector pipelines.IOC owns and operates 11 of India’s 23 refineries with a combined refining capacity of 80.7 million tonnes per annum as well as a pipeline network spanning about 11,750-kmThe board of IOC will meet on August 29, “to consider issue of Bonus Shares,” the company said in a regulatory filing.Option E
- ____________________. Select members of the public will be able to hail a free ride through their smartphones in taxis operated by nuTonomy, an autonomous vehicle software startup. While multiple companies, including Google and Volvo, have been testing self-driving cars on public roads for several years, nuTonomy says it will be the first to offer rides to the public.
The world’s first self-driving taxis will be picking up passengers in Singapore starting 25th of AugustEarlier this year, the company was the first to win approval from Singapore’s government to test self-driving cars in one-north. NuTonomy announced a research partnership with Singapore’s Land Transport Authority earlier this month.Singapore is ideal because it has good weather, great infrastructure and drivers who tend to obey traffic rules, Iagnemma says.Auto supplier Delphi Corp., which is also working on autonomous vehicle software, was recently selected to test autonomous vehicles on the island and plans to start next year.The technology is supposed to reduce the number of Taxi’s from 9,00,000 to 3,00,000 in Singapore.Option A
- In addition to the 827 known killings over the past decade around the world, journalists are kidnapped, arbitrarily detained, tortured, intimidated, and harassed on and offline. Women face the added threat of gender-based violence and sexual harassment.
a) Where in
c) AlsoOnly aOnly bOnly cOnly a and cNone of the aboveOption D
- The government has managed to rake in Rs 21,000 crore through stake sales and buybacks in April-September this year, the highest-ever first half disinvestment revenue for any year by a good margin, thus, raising expectations for the rest of 2016-17. Of this, Rs 16,500 is said to have come from buybacks initiated by five public-sector undertakings (PSUs), while the rest has come from five PSU stake sales through the offer-for-sale (OFS) route, Business Standard has learnt.
b) Not just
c) OutOnly aOnly bOnly cOnly a and cNone of the aboveOption C
- U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May pledged on Sunday that Britain would trigger the formal process for leaving the European Union before the end of March 2017, putting to rest weeks of speculation on the timing of the move. While the prime minister had long hinted that she would start the process early next year, many observers had speculated that she would hold off until the French presidential elections, due to conclude in May.
c) AlongOnly aOnly bOnly cOnly a and cNone of the aboveOption A
- Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan will be the Chief Guest at the Republic Day parade next year. This was announced by External Affairs Spokesman Vikas Swarup here on Sunday.
c) Along withOnly aOnly bOnly cOnly a and cNone of the aboveOption E
- A stroke is a brain attack. It happens when the blood supply to part of the brain is cut off.
c) ConsequentlyOnly aOnly bOnly cOnly a and bNone of the aboveOption D
Directions(6-10): Pick out the option which when used to start a sentence combines both the above sentences in one.