Directions (1-5): Choose the odd sentence out of the given five sentences in each question.
The government has received over Rs 32,400 crore in upfront payments for telecom spectrum that was sold in the recently-held auction with five operators, including Bharti Airtel and newcomer Reliance Jio, paying Rs 19,981 crore on Thursday.The Department of Telecom (DoT) had set the deadline of October 20 for depositing the upfront payments for spectrum bought by operators in the auction that ended on October 6.Vodafone and Tata Teleservices had made payments of Rs 10,139 crore and Rs 2,309 crore, respectively, on Wednesday.“Total upfront payment received by the government for spectrum auction this year stands at over Rs 32,400 crore, higher than the upfront payment it received last year,” a source in the DoT said.Five more operators, including Airtel and Reliance Jio, today deposited a total of 19,981 crore with the telecom department (DoT) on Thursday, taking total payments to Rs 32,400 crore so far.Option C
Seeking to calm worried customers following feared security breach of over 32 lakh debit cards of various banks, Finance Ministry today said they constitute only a small number of the total such cards which are “completely safe”, with no need for panic.“Only about 0.5 per cent of total debit card details were compromised while remaining 99.5 cards are completely safe and bank customers should not panic,” Department of Financial Services Additional Secretary G C Murmu told PTI.A Canara Bank message to a customer said: “In view of security reasons…Please change the ATM pin immediately. In case not adhered to, we will be blocking the existing card on 21-OCT-2016.”There are around 60 crore debit cards operational in India, of which 19 crore are indigenously developed RuPay cards while the rest are Visa and Master Card enabled.Since the data compromise has taken place from specific machine and specific time period, so it is just a limited issue and banks have asked their affected customers to replace their card or change PIN, he said, adding that other cards are not affected at all.Option C
The merger of State Bank of India (SBI) with its associate banks will bring down new recruitment by around a fifth next year.SBI is calculating the numbers likely to be become surplus with the merger.Since 2015-16, there has been no recruitment in the associate banks.It has already announced there won’t be any job cuts on account of the merger.“There will be an impact on recruitment next year. It could be in the range of 20- 25 per cent. Already, associate banks have stopped filling vacancies. The day we decided on a merger, we knew not to opt for new recruitment in the associate banks. We won’t drastically cut down on hirings; there is a need to infuse fresh blood,” said an official.Option C
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has eased norms for foreign investment in start-ups.RBI said that these amendments have been made to further liberalise and rationalise the investment regime for FVCIs and to give a fillip to foreign investment in the start-ups.The banking regulator said that any Foreign Venture Capital Investors (FVCI) which is registered under the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) Regulations can invest in equity or equity linked instrument or debt instrument issued by an Indian ‘start-up’ irrespective of the sector in which the start-up is engaged.They will not require any approval from RBI.Here, a start-up will mean an entity (private limited company or a registered partnership firm or a limited liability partnership) incorporated or registered in India not prior to five years, with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs 25 crore in any preceding financial year.Option B
India’s foreign exchange reserves declined by $1.506 billion to $366.139 billion in the week to October 14, due to fall in foreign currency assets, the Reserve Bank said today.In the previous week, the reserves had decreased by $4.343 billion to $367.646 billion.It had touched a life-time high of $371.99 billion in the week to September 30, 2016.FCAs, expressed in US dollar terms, include the effect of appreciation/depreciation of non-US currencies such as the euro, pound and the yen held in the reserves.Foreign currency assets (FCAs), a major component of the overall reserves, dipped by $1.486 billion to $340.908 billion.Option D
- The Goods and Services Network(GSTN) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Director General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) for sharing of foreign exchange realisation and Import Export code data, a move that is expected to strengthen processing of export transactions of taxpayers under GST, increase transparency and reduce human interface. The Memorandum of Understanding was signed by Shri Ajay K Bhalla, Director General of Foreign Trade and Shri Prakash Kumar, CEO, GSTN in New Delhi on 27.10.16.
a) Following which
c) ApparentlyOnly aOnly bOnly cOnly a and bNone of the aboveOption C
- Chinese Communist Party chief Xi Jinping’s ascension to the highest title in the party hierarchy formalises his position as its pre-eminent figure, analysts said, making him the country’s most powerful leader in a generation and inviting comparisons with Mao Zedong. The ruling party’s declaration that Mr. Xi is the “core” of its leadership saw some observers argue it heralded the beginnings of a personality cult, smacking of the adulation that once surrounded Communist China’s founding father, who ruled for three decades.
a) To which
c) ThusOnly aOnly bOnly cOnly b and cAllOption B
- A UN General Assembly committee voted to launch negotiations on a new treaty banning nuclear weapons despite fierce opposition from the world’s nuclear powers. A resolution presented by Austria, Ireland, Mexico, Nigeria, South Africa and Brazil was adopted by a vote of 123 to 38, with 16 abstentions, following weeks of lobbying by the nuclear powers for ‘no’ votes.
a) But earlier
c) As of nowOnly aOnly bOnly cOnly a and bNone of the aboveOption C
- Sharad Kumar, a 1979-batch Haryana cadre IPS officer, was appointed chief of the NIA on July 30, 2015. The government decided to retain NIA chief Sharad Kumar for another year, with the appointments committee of the cabinet clearing his reappointment till October 31 next year.
b) Not only
c) AlsoOnly aOnly bOnly cOnly a and bOnly a and cOption A
- Haryana will be the first state to give the benefit of 7th Central Pay Commission (CPC) to its employees with effect from January 1, 2016, Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar said today. The Chief Minister said that the state government has decided in principle to grant the benefit of revised pay package to its employees.
a) Where in
b) Not only
c) AlsoOnly aOnly bOnly cOnly a and bOnly a and cOption C
Directions(6-10): Pick out the option which when used to start a sentence combines both the sentences in one.