Direction (1-5): In each question below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Each question is followed by four options with two words in each. You have to select that option as your answer which can fill both the blanks of the sentence.
- Until clouds gathered over China and emerging markets over the summer, the economic weather had ____________ to be brightening. The euro zone’s output grew at an average rate of 0.4% a quarter between late 2014 and mid-2015. That was no showstopper but marked an improvement on the ____________ growth of the previous 18 months.
behaved, busyloomed, dynamicappeared, anaemicpalpable, vivaciousAll are CorrectOption C
- The recovery has also been broadening. It was initially led by Germany, which makes up nearly 30% of euro-zone GDP. More recently it has been ____________ by surprisingly strong growth in Spain, the euro zone’s fourth-biggest economy. Now Italy, the third-biggest and long ____________ , is showing signs of life.
shored, drowsypromoted, apatheticconfirmed, stupefiedbolstered, comatoseAll are CorrectOption E
- One ____________ has been the fall in oil prices, which has acted in much the same way as a tax cut for both consumers and businesses. A second has been QE, which the ECB has been conducting since March, buying €60 billion ($68 billion) of assets a month. That has ____________ exporters in particular by keeping the euro low.
flick, betteredwhet, sustainedfillip, helpedprovocation, benefitedAll are CorrectOption C
- After a few months of merely very low inflation, the euro area ____________ deflation again in September. The relapse will be fleeting, since the big falls in energy prices late last year will soon drop out of the annual numbers. But the euro area still looks likely to experience very low inflation next year—an unhappy prospect for the ____________ countries such as Portugal that are weighed down by excessive public and private debt.
experienced, vulnerablecompetent, secureprepared, defensiblesavvy, shelteredAll are CorrectOption A
- German exports fell sharply in August ____________ with July, while manufacturers’ new orders also ____________. In the euro zone as a whole industrial output also fell in August month-on-month, by 0.5%. Instead of quickening the recovery may slow; economists at Barclays are forecasting GDP growth of 0.3% in the third quarter.
collated, optedcompared, declinedconfronted, convalescedpaired, ralliedAll are CorrectOption B
welfaresailmentsbiopsiesdispositionsAll are CorrectOption B
fosterabetimpedehastenAll are CorrectOption C
clamberfalldropcomeAll are CorrectOption A
anticipatedwishedhopedexpectedAll are CorrectOption E
lureurgestimulusinputAll are CorrectOption C
Directions(6-10): In the passage given below there are 5 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
For much of the past five or so years, the euro area has been suffering from a toxic combination of economic, financial and political ___6___, making it the main source of fragility in the global economy. That honour has now passed to emerging markets. Yet their difficulties are likely to ___7___ what has in any case been an insipid recovery, making it harder for the euro zone to ___8___ out of deflation.
The European Central Bank (ECB) was not ___9___ to announce extra monetary ___10___ when its governing council met in Malta on October 22nd (after The Economist had gone to press).