Directions(1-5): In the passage given below there are 5 blanks. Every blank has four alternative words given in options (A),(B),(C), and (D). You have to tell which word is APPROPRIATE according to the context. If all are appropriate then mark your answer as “E”.
The prospect of interest-rate “lift-off” in America gives investors a reason to take their money there. So it has been odd to see a ___1___ of emerging-market officials call on the Fed to get on with it, the sooner the better. Central bankers from India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico and Peru are among those who have professed a ___2___ for America’s rates to rise. One explanation is that they are a little like patients waiting to give blood, tired of the ___3___ wait and just hoping to be done with it. Things could certainly get painful. As it is, capital is already being ___4___ away from developing countries and towards America. In 2010-14 non-residents put $22 billion into emerging-market stocks and bonds every month, on average. In November they moved $3.5 billion out, the fourth month of such ___5___ in the past five, according to the Institute of International Finance, a trade association.
regressionprocessionrefluximpasseAll are CorrectOption B
lustsurgedesireappetiteAll are CorrectOption C
tormentingdistressingagonizingexcruciatingAll are CorrectOption E
flewdivertedturnstayedAll are CorrectOption B
outflowsexhaustseffluentsonslaughtsAll are CorrectOption A
- We are, with the case of Brett Kavanaugh, Donald Trump’s nominee for the US supreme court, who has been accused of sexual assault, revisiting ground _____________ from years of pacing. Kavanaugh denies Christine Blasey Ford’s allegation that he forcibly held her down and assaulted her when both were at high school. We have only the accounts of the participants, and these, it seems, will always contradict each other.
a. well behaved
b. worn down
c. well troddenBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption B
to make someone feel tired and less able to deal successfully with a situation
- Only a very small percentage result in convictions and sentences. We know that the woman who accused the basketball player Kobe Bryant of rape years ago received death threats and extensive character assassination, as did some of Judge Roy Moore’s accusers, one of whom had her house burned down after she ______________.
a. spoke up
b. belt up
c. mumble upBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption D
- We are, of course, seeing it again with Professor Ford. Her credibility and character were being preemptively attacked even before we knew who she was; she was promptly doxxed when the Washington Post revealed her identity. We know why the more than 60 women who say Bill Cosby sexually assaulted them, from the 1960s through recent years, mostly didn’t speak up before 2014, and how those who did were disbelieved and punished while Cosby’s career ______________ .
c. sailed onBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption E
- We know that the worst things that happen to us can be among the most indelible, so the argument that the accuser can’t possibly remember events from the early 1980s doesn’t _____________ . In the late 1990s, I knew a Marine lieutenant colonel who was haunted by the civilian he had, under direct orders from a general, shot during the Korean war more than 40 years before, in circumstances he described in detail to me.
a. hold up
b. stuck up
c. step upBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption A
- The science on the subject is pretty clear: according to the New England Journal of Medicine, rape is about four times more likely to result in diagnosable PTSD than combat. Think about that for a moment – being raped is four times more psychologically disturbing than going off to a war and being shot at and _______________.
a. puffed up
b. showed down
c. blown upBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption C
Directions(6-10): In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.