Directions(1-5): In each of the following questions there are sentences. There is error in one of the parts. Mark the option which contains error parts as your answer. If no part contains error mark option E as your answer.
- (A) After nine years on the Luton paper, he graduated to Fleet Street and the Daily Sketch before embarking /(B) on a six-decade freelance career that saw him write more than 40 biographies of Hollywood stars /(C) and spend a quarter-century presenting a weekly radio show, /(D) to say nothing over a brief stint as PR man for Bertrand Russell and a day in court being sued by James Cagney.
over = of
- (A) I will need some of his resilience now. I hope I learned it from him, the way I learned about being a journalist, /(B) a Jew, a man. People keep telling me that my father was proud of me; /(C) and while that’s a great comfort, the truth is I was proud of him. Raised in a hard-up corner of wartime England, /(D) he went away to see the world – and he never stopped looking forward and upward, gazing at the stars.
went away = went off
- (A) The slave market opened at night. We could hear the commotion downstairs where militants were registering and organising, /(B) and when the first man entered the room, all the girls started screaming. /(C) It was like the scene of an explosion. We moaned as though wounded, /(D) doubling over and vomiting on the floor, but none of it stopped the militants.
- (A) I gave my brief address. When I finished telling my story, I continued to talk. /(B) I told them I wasn’t raised to give speeches. I told them that every Yazidi wants Isis prosecuted for genocide,/(C) and that it was in their power to help protect vulnerable people all over the world. I told them that I wanted to look the men who raped me in the eye and see them bringing to justice. /(D) More than anything else, I said, I want to be the last girl in the world with a story like mine.
bringing = brought
- (A) Explaining hasn’t have any effect. Bolsonaro is less a post-truth phenomenon than a phenomenon of what I call self-truth. /(B) The content of what he says doesn’t matter: what matters is the act of saying it. /(C) Aesthetics have replaced ethics. By saying everything and anything, no matter how violent, /(D) he is labelled truthful or sincere by his voters at a time when politicians are being shunned as frauds and liars.
hasn’t have =hasn’t had
- I would fall asleep to the clack-clack-clack of his typewriter or his voice dictating copy. During school holidays, I would sit and watch him through the glass of the radio studio, smiling and laughing as his guests talked, ensuring they were relaxed enough to ________________ . And when I edited my university newspaper, it was my dad I went to, looking on as he, pencil in hand, sketched out a blueprint for what would become a wholesale redesign.
a. open up
b. button up
c. give outBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption C
- I thought as I strode into the Shape Shifters exhibition. I’m not some rustic doughnut, but a sophisticated aesthete steeped in Ernst Gombrich’s thoughts on art and illusion. I’ve written about the historical role of the mirror in art, for ________________ . I’m not going to get duped by mere installations.
a. belting up loud
b. crying out loud
c. calling out loudBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption B
- Then time slowed down and a series of questions ________________ my mind. Could I fall in such a way that the bike stayed on the towpath? Could I get my watch out of my pocket and hurl it on to the path before I went under? Could I reach my mobile, film the event and produce a multimedia audiovisual package that would really show my bosses that I’m not just a dinosaur of print journalism?
a. be beaten
b. went through
c. went overBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly aAll are CorrectOption B
- She suggested I must be concussed and should walk the few yards to work and have a cup of tea. Instead I ________________ a reasonably dry cagoule (classy), cycled home, chucked my damp clothes in the washing machine, showered, dabbed my grazed shins with Dettol, and blow dried my Oyster Card, debit card, phone, and watch.
a. got on
b. push away
c. pulled onBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly bAll are CorrectOption C
- This is where we join the dots. The same system that is running scared of #MeToo is the system that will ________________ on reproductive rights. This is indeed a matter of belief. Not only do many of us believe women who speak out about sexual assault and rape, we believe that we have the right to choose what we do with our own bodies.
a. clamp down
b. choke back
c. make fullBoth a & bBoth b & cBoth c & aOnly cAll are CorrectOption A
Directions(6-10): In each question a sentence is given followed by a blank. Each blank is followed by three options and you have to determine which option can be used in place of blank to make it a meaningful sentence and mark it as your answer.