Directions (1-3): In the given question, five words are printed in bold and are numbered A, B, C, D and E . The positions of some highlighted words may be incorrect and need to be exchanged with another highlighted to make the sentence correct. Find the words that need to be exchanged. In case all words are correct in its original place, then mark the answer as ‘No exchange required’.
- The sweeping(A) expansion of how “forest” is incorporation(B) in law by the Supreme Court and its proposed defined(C) into the Indian Forest Act threatens the customary(D) forest rights of these people.
A – C and B – DB – CA – D and B – CC – DNo exchange requiredOption B
- All done(A) and said(B), the recent Ayodhya verdict by the Supreme Court is different(C) about the concrete, physical place which was put into legal dispute by basically(D) litigants.
No exchange requiredA – C and B – DA – B and C – DB – C and A – DA – BOption C
‘All done and said’ is an incorrect phrase. The correct phrase is ‘all said and done’ which means after all considerations.
- The credibility(A) of the National Crime Records Bureau’s (NCRB) statistics is perennially(B) doubted in this country, especially since the late 1990s, when the numbers began incidence(C) declining trends in the revealing(D) of crime per lakh population.
A – C and B – DB – CA – D and B – CC – DNo exchange requiredOption D
- Stimulants reduce performance improvements on cognitive tasks that overnight sleep confers. Reduction in deep sleep is caused by stimulants which in turn affects performance.
a) Overnight sleep confers stimulants which reduce..
b) Decrease in deep sleep is directly related to..
c) Stimulants cause reduction in deep sleep..Both A & BBoth B & COnly COnly ABoth C & AOption C
New Sentence: Stimulants cause reduction in deep sleep, which in turn affects performance improvements on cognitive tasks that overnight sleep confers.
- The festival season used to be all about going ethnic with bright colours dominating the attires. People have started experimenting with their looks trying to make a style statement.
a) A few decades ago the norm in the …
b) Although people have started using bright …
c) With bright colours dominating the attires …Both a and cOnly cOnly bBoth a and bNone of theseOption A
The new sentence are:
a) A few decades ago the norm in the festival season used to be all about going ethnic, but now, people have started experimenting with their looks trying to make a style statement.
c) With bright colours dominating the attires, the festival season used to be all about going ethnic, but now, people have started experimenting with their looks trying to make a style statement.
- A tidy workspace and office make it easier to be productive. A cluttered cubicle can cause stress and negativity affecting productivity.
a) Although a tidy workspace and office…
b) While a cluttered cubicle can cause…
c) Unlike a tidy workspace which makes…Both a and bBoth b and cBoth c and aAll a, b and cNone of theseOption B
The new sentences are:
b) While a cluttered cubicle can cause stress and negativity affecting productivity, a tidy workspace and office make it easier to be productive.
c) Unlike a tidy workspace which makes it easier to be productive, a cluttered cubicle can cause stress and negativity affecting productivity.
- Women are and have always been at the forefront of the fight against wildlife trafficking, a multi-billion-dollar transnational organized crime that is threatening our already _______________ wildlife.
d) Meagera-bb-ca-cb-da-dOption E
The sentence is talking about women always being on the forefront to fight against wildlife trafficking , which is a threat to the already inadequate wildlife we have. Here the correct combination would be ‘scarce’ and ‘meager’ both having the same meaning i.e. insufficient. Hence option E is the correct answer.
‘Exuberant’ means full of energy, excitement, and cheerfulness. ‘Dense’ means closely compacted in substance. Hence, both of these words are cannot be used in this sentence.
- Forest conservation involves the upkeep of the natural resources within a forest that are ______________ to both humans and the environment.
d) Detrimentala-ba-ca-db-cb-dOption A
The sentence talks about the advantages of forest conservation to human and their environment, by the maintenance of natural resources within a forest.
Here the correct combination is ‘advantageous’ and ‘beneficial’ both having the same meaning, i.e. being helpful or good to something or someone. Hence, the correct option for this question is A.
‘Supplemental’ means completing or enhancing something, or something additional. ‘Detrimental’ is the exact opposite of ‘beneficial’ i.e. tending to cause harm. These two words therefore are an incorrect
- There is no cure for dementia and people cannot ______________ reverse its effects, but there are ways to possibly slow its progression.
d) Considerablya-dc-ac-db-cb-dOption C
The sentence talks about dementia, and how there is no cure for this disease by significantly reversing its effects; however there are ways to slow down its progression. Here the correct combination would be ‘Considerably’ and ‘substantially’, both having the same meaning i.e. of considerable importance or worth. Hence, the correct option is C.
‘Alternately’ means – with two things continually following and succeeded by each other; one after the other, and ‘ultimately’ means finally. We can see that neither of the two words fit correctly in sense or meaning with this sentence.
- It is important to understand the general social issues of our society and how they _____________ the lives of the people of the country.
d) Refraina-bb-cc-da-da-cOption B
The sentence talks about the importance of understanding social issues of our society and how they affect the people’s lives. Here the correct combination would be ‘impact’ and ‘affect’, both having the same meaning that is a marked effect or influence. Hence, the correct option for this question is B.
‘Disturb’ and ‘Refrain’ are nonsensical when used in this context.
Directions (4-6): Select the phrase/connector from the given options which can be used to form a single sentence from the two sentences given below, implying the same meaning as expressed in the statement sentences. Pick out the option which when used to start a sentence combines both the above sentences in one.
Directions (7-10): In the given questions, one statement with a blank is given along with four words. Two of the given words can fit into the given blank. Five options with various combinations of these words are given. Pick up the combination of the words that fits into the blank.