Directions(1-4): A sentence divided into four parts (A), (B), (C) and (D). There are errors in two parts of the sentence. Determine the pair of parts which requires correction and mark it as your answer. If the sentence is correct, mark the answer as “No error”.
- For the election process in Karnataka coming to (A)/ a close, Telangana would be one of the focus state for BJP and (B)/ the party was gearing up for the polls in (C)/ 2019, state BJP president K Laxman has said. (D)
A-BC-DB-CA-CNo errorOption A
Parts A and B carry the error.
In (A), replace ‘for’ with ‘with’ because we can use ‘with’ to mean ‘because of’ or ‘as a result of’, and thus, it can be said that because the election process in Karnataka is coming to a close, Telangana would be one of the focus states for BJP.
In (B) replace ‘state’ with ‘states’. This is because the general rule for usage of the phrase ‘one of the’ is: ‘one of the’ + plural noun. So, the noun following the phrase ‘one of the’ is always a plural noun.
- Of the litany of horrible things that could go wrong mild-flight, (A)/ a passenger seat coming lose is one of the lesser problems, (B)/ ranking somewhere among reheated (C)/ mystery meat and the screaming child in seat 21B. (D)
C-DA-BB-CB-DNo errorOption C
Parts B and C carry errors.
In (B), replace ‘lose’ with ‘loose’, because the sentence requires an adjective to describe the passenger seat. ‘Lose’ is a verb that can mean fail to win, misplace or free oneself from something or someone whereas ‘loose’ is an adjective that means not tight, which can be aptly associated with the passenger seat belt.
In (C), replace ‘among’ with ‘between’. This is because we use ‘between’ to refer to two things which are clearly separated as in this case ‘reheated mystery meat and the screaming child’ are two separate events. Whereas we use ‘among’ to talk about things which are not clearly separated as they are part of a group or crowd or mass of objects.
- My mother felt I had the make of a tennis champion, and (A)/ every Saturday, my parents and I would go to the South Club (B)/ in Deshapriya Park, next to Priya Cinema, where I would spend 45 minutes (C)/ with a tennis instructor, pretending to plays tennis. (D)
C-DA-DB-DA-BNo errorOption B
Parts A and D carry the error.
In (A), replace ‘make’ with ‘making’, because the gerund form of verb is needed in this sentence.
In (D), replace ‘plays’ with ‘play’. This is because with
- The positive effects of both loans and grants that the researchers (A)/ found shows that many poor people face liquidity constraints that prevent them from (B)/ investing in capital, but the study does nonetheless suggests that not everyone (C)/ could directly utilise and benefit from micro-loans and cash transfers. (D)
C-BB-DA-DA-BNo errorOption B
Parts B and D carry the error. In (B) replace ‘shows’ with ‘show’ because the sentence requires a plural verb to support the plural noun ‘effects’ in ‘the positive effects’. This makes ‘show’ (plural verb) correct.
In (D), replace ‘could’ with ‘can’. This is because we don’t use ‘could’ to talk about general truths which refer to the present time, we use ‘can’ instead.
- The political language(A) in Nepal has its underpinnings(B) in the governance(C) of the Hindu upper-castes in dominance(D), administration, and also instability(E).
A-CC-D & A-EC-EA-B & C-ENo exchange requiredOption B
- The Pakistani Prime Minister recently launched(A) Ehsas, a programme to alleviate(B) poverty and uplift(C) some of the most disadvantaged(D) sections of society(E).
A-CC-D & A-EC-EA-B & C-ENo exchange requiredOption E
- Diabetes(A) is often associated(B) a lifestyle disease, and for a long(C) time, it was called(D) with the lifestyles of the affluent (E).
B-DC-D & A-EC-EA-B & C-ENo exchange requiredOption A
- A) World Trade Organization, PTI reported
B) The president of the United States
C) continue taking advantage of the tag from the
D) on Tuesday said that India and China were
E) no longer “developing nations” and cannotACBDEABCDEACEDBBDECACEBADOption D
- A) during her floor routine during the
B) Simone Biles scripted history as she
C) recently-concluded US Gymnastics Championships
D) became the first woman to land a triple-double
E) in Kansas City, Missouri on SundayABCDEBDACECBDAEECADBAEDBCOption B
- A) protecting our body from germs and other
B) micro-organisms that may be harmful
C) almond milk contains various nutrients
D) and minerals which help in boosting
E) the immune system of an individual byACEBDEBCDACDEABADEBCADBCEOption C
Directions(5-7): In the given question, five words are printed in bold and are numbered A, B, C, D and E. The positions of some highlighted words may be incorrect and need to be exchanged with another highlighted to make the sentence correct. Find the words that need to be exchanged.
Directions(8-10): In the given question, a statement has been divided into five segments, each of which is denoted by (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E). Rearrange all the segments to form a coherent statement.