Directions(1-5): A statement with one blank is given below. Choose the set of words from the given options which can be used to fill the given blank.
- It is not only delicious ________________ health benefits that many are not aware of.
I. but also has certain
II. and also has certain
III. but it has certainOnly IOnly IIBoth I and IIBoth II and IIIAll the aboveOption A
The construction not only…but (also) is called a correlative conjunction. It is used to present two related pieces of information.
Since ‘not only’ is already given, the phrase in the blank must contain ‘but also’. Note that addition of another conjunction ‘and’ would ride the sentence grammatically incorrect, so we can rule out option B.
- ____________ cross-border tensions between India and Pakistan, air and road traffic in Kashmir continues to remain disrupted.
I. Among the escalated
II. Amidst the escalated
III. In the midst of the escalatedOnly IOnly IIBoth I and IIBoth II and IIIAll the aboveOption D
‘Among’ should be used when it is followed by plural countable nouns or by a word indicating a separable group of people or things, congregation, crowd, etc,
‘Tension’ is an uncountable noun. Hence, ‘among’ cannot be used, thereby, eliminating I.
‘Amidst’ means ‘in an atmosphere of’ while ‘midst’ means ‘in the middle of’.
Both ‘amidst’ and ‘midst’ can be used for uncountable nouns and convey the appropriate meaning.
- A complex and sentimental story, the movie Creation was _______________ Charles Darwin’s personal agony.
I. a gentle foray into
II. a gentle intrusion into
III. a gentle foray inOnly IOnly IIBoth I and IIBoth II and IIIAll the aboveOption C
- Palaeontologists study ancient life by examining fossil remains, using knowledge from other scientific fields to create a picture __________________.
I. of how the world used to look
II. matching with the rate of fossil formation
III. of the evolution of the species under examinationOnly IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth I and IIIAll of the aboveOption D
The sentence talks about the study of ancient life with the help of fossil remains. Either of (i) or (iii) can be used to complete the sentence, as (i) talks about ‘scientists imagining how the world used to look by examining fossil remains’ and (iii) talks about ‘understanding the evolutionary process in a species whose fossil was under examination’. ‘Rate of fossil formation’ is out of context with ‘study of ancient life’ as fossil formation would only suggest a period post the ancient life.
- From spooky abandoned houses to dark forest corners, spider webs have an aura of eternal existence ______________, the silk threads can only last hours to weeks without rotting.
I. but in reality
II. although in truth
III. and in factonly Ionly IIIBoth I and IIboth II and IIIAll of the aboveOption C
- You should(1) give the names of two persons(2) who can reliability(3) for your honesty and vouch.(4)
1-23-41-32-3No exchange requiredOption B
- Sudden occurring(1) of these creatures have been plagues(2) over recent years which settle(3) upon living reefs and devour(4) the coral polyps.
1-22-31-31-4No exchange requiredOption A
- The corridor was lined(1) with rooms, mostly small and probably(2), used empty(3) by court officers for official(4) rendezvous.
1-23-42-31-3No exchange requiredOption C
- Some high technology(1) products require a design(2) amount of computer programming(3) during the tremendous(4) phase.
1-22-33-42-4No exchange requiredOption D
- These were used as clandestine(1) in times of attack(2) and for retreats(3) communication between the religious(4) houses.
1-41-21-32-3No exchange requiredOption C
Directions(6-10): In the given question, five words are printed in bold and are numbered A, B, C, D and E. The positions of some highlighted words may be incorrect and need to be exchanged with another highlighted to make the sentence correct. Find the words that need to be exchanged.