Directions (1-5): In each of the following questions a sentence is given with a word given in BOLD. Corresponding to each question three sentences are given with the use of the same word. From the options choose the sentences which give a DIFFERENT MEANING for the word used in the sentence above. The meaning used in the sentence(s) should be different from the one used in the main sentence.
- Critics everywhere have eulogized her new novel.
(I) Her latest novel is eagerly awaited.
(II) All the characters in the novel are closely observed .
(III) The studio is looking for novel concepts to turn into original television series.Only (I)Only (II)Only (III)Both (I) and (II)Both (II) and (III)Option C
Novel: a fictitious prose narrative of book length, typically representing character and action with some degree of realism.
Novel: interestingly new or unusual.
- The support beams will buckle if the weight placed on them is greater than what they can stand.
(I) If I have to carry even one extra pound on top of the fifty I already have, my knees will buckle.
(II) The paper plate is starting to buckle due to the large amount of food being placed on its flimsy surface.
(III) He wore a belt with a large brass buckle.Only (I)Only (II)Only (III)Both (I) and (II)Both (II) and (III)Option C
Buckle: bend and give way under pressure or strain.
Buckle: a flat, typically rectangular frame with a hinged pin, used for joining the ends of a belt or strap
- Time does not bow to you, you must bow to time.
(I) A man without money is a bow without an arrow.
(II) She tied the ribbon in a bow.
(III) Eventually the government was forced to bow to public pressure and reform the tax.Only (I)Only (II)Only (III)Both (I) and (II)Both (II) and (III)Option D
Bow: a weapon for shooting arrows, typically made of a curved piece of wood joined at both ends by a taut string.
Bow: express (thanks, agreement, or other sentiments) by bending one’s head respectfully.
- War is much too important to be left to the military.
(I) Industry is fortune’s right hand, and frugality her left.
(II) I left my bicycle out in the rain.
(III) As she left the court, she was confronted by angry crowds who tried to block her way.Only (I)Only (II)Only (III)Both (I) and (II)Both (II) and (III)Option A
Left: the left-hand part, side, or direction.
Left: allow or cause to remain.
- Jane was willing to accompany you to the park to go out for a walk.
(I) He crossed the street and walked alongside Central Park.
(II) Is it all right to park my car there?
(III) No vehicles are permitted into the park.Only (I)Only (II)Only (III)Both (I) and (II)Both (II) and (III)Option B
Park: a large public garden or area of land used for recreation.
Park: bring (a vehicle that one is driving) to a halt and leave it temporarily, typically in a car park or by the side of the road.
- The pianist softly ———————————-the keys, playing a gentle melody.
began to compressbegan too compressbegun to compressbegun too compressedNone of the aboveOption A
‘Began’ is the appropriate choice here, as the sentence is in simple past tense.
- The Tamil Nadu government had distributed Nilavembu Kudineer concoction to treat people infected with dengue during ————————————-2017
the outbreak in latethe outbreak into latethat outbreak in latethose outbreak in lateNone of the aboveOption A
- Under in vitro conditions, Nilavembu Kudineer (a Siddha medicine) was found to provide protection against chikungunya virus ————————-as a treatment during acute phase of dengue infection.
while it were effectivewhile it were effectwhile its was effectivewhile it was effectiveNone of the aboveOption D
- The blessing of the bread and wine ———————-for ordained church leaders.
is a rite reservedis an rite reservedwas a rite reserveis a rite reserve isNone of the aboveOption A
- At the family reunion, cousins who ————————————-in a very long time will finally get the chance to.
have not seen each otherhave not been seen each otherhad not been seen each otherhave not saw each otherNone of the aboveOption A
Directions (6-10): In each of the questions given below an incomplete sentence which must be filled/completed with one of the sentences/words given below i.e. one of the sentences/words can fit into the given blanks. Choose the correct option and complete the given sentences