Directions (1-5): Read the following passage and answer the following questions given below. Some words are given in bold to help you answer some of the questions given below.
Secularism is the concept of independence of the state and the religious groups. This is an ideology which is highly important for a democratic country and especially the one where people from various religions reside. Secularism ensures the freedom of expression of ideas and beliefs of one and all. It also helps in the peaceful functioning of the state.
India is a country comprising of various religions such as Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Sikhism, etc. Secularism is one of the most important achievements of independent India as it has ensured equal treatment of people in all aspects regardless of their caste, religion, beliefs, etc. After the colonial struggle and their concept of Divide and Rule, our foundations and unity among different religious groups were shattered. (A) This called for the establishment of a secular state where government does not formulate policies and makes decisions favoring or loathed a particular religious group or caste.
The inculcation of secularism in the constitution brings along many other fundamental rights of the citizens of the country such as the right to expression and religious freedom. India being home to people of a large number of religions, it is more prone to religious conflicts and other political and social damage. Secularism here ensures the proper and fair functioning of the government meanwhile providing all the religious groups with the rights to practice the religion of their choice and express their opinions and beliefs freely without fear or hesitation.
There have been certain instances in history where the majority groups have tried to establish their dominance over various minority groups and sometimes also on the government. The implementation of secularism has kept this issue in check by working independently from the religious groups and giving out equal freedom to all the religions and castes. Secularism also has some threats and barriers but it is the responsibility of the secular state to work tirelessly with the goal of achieving peace and understanding among all the religions prevailing and allow the harmonious working of the governmental organizations meanwhile providing fundamental rights to all the citizens irrespective of their caste, religion, beliefs etc. Hence, it can be concluded that for a diverse country like India, introduction of secularism is indeed a blessing as people can express their opinions freely and can openly profess or practice the religion of their choice or choose not to practice any at all.
- In the passage given, a sentence (A) is given in BOLD. There may or may not be an error in one part of the sentence. Choose the part which has an error in it as your answer. If there in no error then choose option (E) as your answer.
This called for the establishment of a secular statewhere government does not formulatepolicies and makes decisions favoring orloathed a particular religious group or casteNo errorOption D
The error is in option ‘d’. It should be ‘loathing’ instead of ‘loathed’. Since the sentence is in simple present tense, it will be loathing and not loathed.
- Which is SIMILAR in meaning to the word INCULCATION given in BOLD?
‘Promotion’ is similar in meaning to ‘inculcation’. Inculcation means the act of inculcating, or teaching or influencing persistently and repeatedly so as to implant or instill an idea, theory, attitude, etc.
- Which of the following is/are TRUE in context of the passage?
Secularism ensures the freedom of expression of ideas and beliefs of one and all.There have been certain instances in history where the majority groups have tried to establish their dominance over various minority groups and sometimes also on the government.After the colonial struggle and their concept of Divide and Rule, our foundations and unity among different religious groups were shattered.India being home to people of a large number of religions, it is more prone to religious conflicts and other political and social damage.All are correctOption E
- How according to the author, Secularism is a blessing for India?
As people can express their opinions freelyAs people can practice any religion of their choiceA person can choose to be an agnostic if he wants toOnly (A) and (B)All (A), (B) and (C)Option E
- Which is OPPOSITE in meaning to the word PREVAILING given in BOLD?
‘unfixed’ is opposite in meaning to ‘prevailing’. Prevailing means existing.
- The term ‘universal’ is meant to __________ that the minimum or basic income will be provided to everyone irrespective of _________ their current income is.
COLUMN I COLUMN II
(A) suggestion (D) whichever
(B) connote (E) whatever
(C) significance (F) howeverA-EB-EB-FC-DC-EOption B
- A universal basic income __________ a monthly stipend that would ________ that a person would be above the poverty line without any other source of income.
COLUMN I COLUMN II
(A) provides (D) impose
(B) presume (E) embolden
(C) engulf (F) ensureA-FB-EC-FA-EC-DOption A
- Despite investors becoming _______ of the food tech sector, top companies, including Zomato and Swiggy, have been ________ continuous rounds of capital to win share in a cut-throat market.
COLUMN I COLUMN II
(A) care (D) produce
(B) wary (E) visiting
(C) attention (F) raisingA-EB-EC-DA-FB-FOption E
- Given rapid population growth, the fight _________ poverty will require faster economic growth and dramatic reductions _______ income inequality.
COLUMN I COLUMN I
(A) in (D) with
(B) beside (E) for
(C) against (F) inA-FB-EC-DC-FA-EOption D
- The newly released World Economic Situation and Prospects for 2019 ________ how rising economic, social and environmental challenges __________ progress towards the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
COLUMN I COLUMN II
(A) illustrates (D) hinder
(B) explains (E) hamper
(C) showing (F) inhibitingA-F and B-EB-D and C-FA-E, B-E, A-D and B-DC-E and B-DA-F, B-E, C-DOption C
A-E, B-E, A-D and B-D are the correct combinations. ‘Hinder’ and ‘hamper’ mean make it difficult for (someone) to do something or for (something) to happen.
Directions (6-10): In the questions given below a sentence is given with two blanks in each. Corresponding to each question two columns are given with three words in each column. Which combination of words from the two columns will perfectly fit into the blanks to make the sentence contextually correct and meaningful.