Directions(1-5) In the given sentences a blank is given indicating that something is missing. From the given four options, (1), (2), (3), (4), a combination of words would fit the blank thereby making it grammatically and contextually correct. Select that option as the answer. If all the given combinations fit perfectly, then select ‘All fit’ as the answer and if none of the given options fits then select ‘None fits’ as your answer. Note: Each word in the correct combinations must independently fit in the blanks.
- True education ________ the realm of knowledge and goes deeper into the heart, the dwelling place of wisdom and the spring of values and relationships.
IV. outshineII, IVI, IIIIII, IVI, IIAll fitOption B
Transcend – To be greater, better, or stronger than
- Films have the power to ______ debate on a range of issues and, although one might seek refuge in viewer discretion, there is enough data to suggest that moving image does alter our minds.
IV. inspireII, IVI, IIIIII, IVI, IIAll fitOption E
- In the recent past, numerous environmental problems have become ________ for human welfare.
IV. menacingII, IIII, IVII, IVI, IIIAll fitOption C
- If we do not discharge the responsibilities then and there, they _______ like the heap of arrears and it is too late when we think of clearing them.
IV. assimilateII, IIII, IIII, IVII, IVAll fitOption B
accumulate/burgeon – To become greater in extent, volume, amount, or number
- Undernutrition is both a consequence as well as cause of _______ poverty, eroding human capital through intergenerational effects on cognitive and physical development.
IV. continuingI, IIIII, IVII, IVI,, IIIAll fitOption C
The area was on a war footing and all was bustle and preparation, expecting the hourly arrival of the enemy.His parents footed the bill for his course fees.The mountaineers set up their base camp at the foot of the mountain.I lost my foot and tumbled down the stairs.All are correctOption D
To leave a dog home alone is tantamount to cruelty.Overlooking tax norms tantamounts to a crime.Her refusal to answer was tantamount to an admission of guilt.The King’s request was tantamount to a command.All are correctOption E
The strong usually dominates over the weak.Foreign domination had a malign influence on local politics.The Memorial seems almost ugly, dominant the landscape for miles around.The promise of tax cuts became the dominant element in the campaign.All are correctOption C
In medieval times, professional perfumers would concoct personal scents for their clients.One wonders why Nature, with some snakes, concoct poison of such extreme potency.So what were the magic ingredients that turned out such a great concoction?He concocted a story about working late at the office,but I knew he was going drinking with his brother.All are correctOption B
The object of educator is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives.Let our objected be our country, our whole country, and nothing but our country.I objected that he was too young for the job.Local tradesmen are objecting to plans for big new out-of-town shopping centre.All are correctOption B
Directions(6-10) – In each of the following questions, a word has been used in sentences in four different ways. Choose the option corresponding to the sentence in which the usage of the word is INCORRECT or INAPPROPRIATE.